Friday, May 08, 2020

The Open Road

I-95 south, Emporia, VA, Aug 29, 2018
I could use a road trip.

I know -- when could I not use one?

What to listen to in the vehicle is crucial.

Sure, sometimes you need traffic/weather/news (especially around Washington, DC). Or it could be time for a ballgame.

Sometimes, after turning the dial and simply lacking inspiration, silence isn't a bad thing.

But, mostly, it's music.

Day 7: A song to drive to

It was 1984 (I think) and we had just left a Howard Johnson's (our lodging of choice -- my father slept well there). It looked like snow was in the forecast as we rolled out of North Carolina and into Virginia.

I was in charge of the radio and turned the dial looking for something. My father didn't often overrule me.

He did here.

"Give me something with a beat," he said. He wanted something that rocked so he keep the energy moving along Interstate 95.

I've never forgotten it.

By the way, I thought we'd maybe make Richmond or DC and get snowed in. I think we saw maybe ten snowflakes north of Emporia, VA and made it home without seeing anymore.

I'm overthinking this one (who? me?). I thought about "Fever" by The Black Keys and Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz (and I still remember hearing that for the first time at Virginia Commonwealth University). I toyed with INXS and Eric Clapton.

I decided to not repeat The Beatles (and, by extension, any solo projects) or Billy Joel.

But, come on. I have to use them sometime. I have to use this song sometime.

They have so many songs that are drivable and have been the soundtrack to many a car ride.

They're almost the soundtrack of my life.

Yes.

Maroon 5, of course. Oh, wait. That's what I'd listen to drive a sledgehammer into my skull. Different kind of driving.

Sometimes, while trying to be different, track one/side one is staring you right in the eye. It's the travelogue of road trips songs.

There are only 24 versions of it listed in my iTunes between live, session takes, studio cuts, single edits, greatest hits and other compilations.

"New York, New York isn't everything they say and no place I'd rather be..."

I mean. Duh.

No comments: