Thursday, May 07, 2020

I Can't Dance

Avert your eyes!
I promise to not reference the (arguably) most forgettable album (and era) in the long and glorious history of Genesis (the band, not the first book of The Bible) beyond the title of this post and picture.

Genesis, frankly, wasn't much of a danceable band, though I think you can cut the proverbial rug to almost anything.

But, then again, I'm extremely awkward. (Sort of like Sheldon Cooper, though not really)



Though I will tell you one dancing story. Sean and I would have this game we would play every time we went to Stew Leonard's in Danbury where we would race (without running, of course) to the button that would make the animatronic Miss Chiquita dance and sing. He found Miss Chiquita to be annoying and, most of the time, he'd find a way to run and beat me but, once in a while, I'd speed walk and beat him.

Then I'd break out into this rumba meets salsa meets cha-cha meets I don't know what the hell it was. But it mortified him and that made me love every minute of it.

Anyway, sorry. I digress.

Day 6: A song that makes you want to dance

This one baffled me.

Have I danced? Yes, though the last time I did and felt like I wasn't an idiot (non-Chiquita Banana Division) was probably 10 years ago (though I did do a few numbers at the wedding of Chris and Genna Erway -- different story).

I immediately thought of "I Saw Her Standing There" but I'm sure all 30 days of this challenge could be Beatles songs.

I thought of Huey Lewis also, because Huey Lewis. Of course. But he'll be showing up during this month for sure.

Then, it hit me. Not a song that makes ME want to dance, per se, but a song that REMINDS me of dancing, and maybe I would actually dance to it if I ever got over myself to not feel so awkward again.

Instead, it reminded me of the time a song came on and someone decided to get up and dance because they wanted to imitate someone.

And they danced in the style of Belinda Carlisle.

And it was gloriously awesome.

The thing is, I like the Go-Go's. Sure, they made pop, but they could also rock.

"Head Over Heels" was a perfectly fine pop song in 1984.

Check out Belinda's dance moves and smile.

"Head over heels...where should I go..."

No comments: