Monday, May 18, 2020

Don't Stand So Close to Me (But you knew that already)


Pandemic diary, day 4,357*: There have been steps taken forward and a step taken back.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo began the process of reopening more regions of the state, including the Capital District. Selfishly, that's important to me because my niece and her fiancée are getting married in August not too far from Albany.

Also important was Cuomo along with the governors of Texas and California saying that they are open to allowing professional sports to be played in their respective states. The games would be complete with safety precautions and no fans.

I see that as a good step, but of course, it could all mean nothing.

Closer to home, my region is not open yet. New York City isn't either.

On the down side, from a mental standpoint, Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said that beauty salons and barbershops could not reopen as scheduled on Wednesday. Look, I feel for the people who work at them. I get it. On the other hand, we still have to keep a perspective on things.

Those needing their hair cut in the Nutmeg State (and don't cut it themselves like me!) will have to adjust. They'll wait until June. First World Problems and all.

So I see that one as a bit of a negative.

Win some, lose some I guess.

(*4 3 5 7 are the numbers of Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio and Mantle that were retired, in order. Because I'm weird)

Day 17: A song you'd sing a duet with someone on karaoke

My mind drifts back to Sean being young. Except he's not a little kid anymore and probably wouldn't be caught dead singing. At one time, it would have been "Eleanor Rigby" or "Yellow Submarine" or "Octopus's Garden" or a few other song. I'd load him in the car as we drove home from daycare and he'd give me his request. Put it this way: we didn't play kid's music.

I don't want to use The Beatles again, nor do I want to use Huey Lewis again, though his duet with Gwyneth Paltrow on "Cruisin'" was a hit from a movie about karaoke singers (Duets).

Honestly, I'm a little flummoxed on this one.

Of course, I could turn to all of the times that Chris Erway and Ryan DeMaria joined me for some silly singalong to change the lyrics to any song by inserting Chris Kaelins' name in it.

So I guess I'm breaking the rules. There are enough verses here for everyone to sing some, or it can just be a duet.

They didn't need a fancy name. They were just The Band.

Oh, just one thing: I get the verse about crazy...Chester. Yes. Chester is his name.

"Take a load off, Fanny (Tako)..."

No comments: