Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Jukebox in the Diner


We've reached another entry in our 30-Day Song Challenge

Day 12: A song from your preteen years

Honestly, that could be anything. Did I have to be alive when it was made? I decided that I needed to be, so anything between Nov, 1968 and Nov 1981 was in play.

I grew up in a house of music. We had WABC and WNNNNNNNBC on in the car. We played some FM with "Music From the Terrace" on WHUD and other FM stations emanating from the stereos of my siblings.

We could find music on TV, such as The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour.

(Westchester County Historical Society)
And, on many Saturday nights, you'd find us in the corner booth of the old Crompond Diner in Yorktown.

A trusty old railroad-style dining car, it had booths with a jukebox at each table. For some reason, it strikes me that you got two songs for a quarter but my memory might be off on that.

We played the hits of the era in the 70s before they made improvements, adding a "fancy" dining room in the back. Eventually the whole thing would get changed, the place would change hands, and we stopped going. Time moves on.

Oh but to the simpler times of getting that trusty quarter, working the keys for the selection and, through those lo-fidelity crappy speakers, out came Elton John.

"Honky Cat."

"They said, get back, honky cat. Better get back to the woods..."

No comments: