Saturday, May 30, 2020

Feelings

(NBC News)
It's a terrible time.

I didn't have the words yesterday or the day before and I still don't really have them now.

Amazingly, COVID-19 is not the top story. Coronavirus and social distancing didn't matter in a lot of places as I watched TV last night.

George Floyd mattered. He still does and he'll be an icon for years to come.

I wish I could say I'm surprised at any of this but I'm old enough to remember Crown Heights and Rodney King and, sadly, more until Ferguson and Baltimore and Charlottesville in recent years and, now, Minneapolis.

At this point I can only sympathize and empathize and hope we all do better but can only focus on me.

I watched coverage last night and read so many awful hot takes until I could no longer stand it.

I want to scream. It falls on deaf ears.

I want to go back to focusing on utter stupidity like the complete and total obnoxious arrogance I read before. It defined entitlement and the very thing that should be avoided, especially right now, and especially in the media.

Know the room, young man. Know the room.

People will talk. They already do.

But there's no point. You just need to let it play out and hope karma gets the last laugh.

I needed a respite.

I watched man go back into space a few hours ago. Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley lifted off from Cape Canaveral and was just fantastic. For a few minutes, people in my age group could stop and remember the days of Apollo and the space shuttle years, while those older than I am could recall back to the early days of NASA.

The launch was glorious, even if it was a giant commercial for Elon Musk. It was enough that Sean came out of hiding to watch it with me.

For just a few minutes, I was whisked to the old clips of Walter Cronkite anchoring the CBS coverage.

A glance at social media brought that all crashing back down. There's a reason I didn't do a lot of social today.

And, with that, we come to the penultimate day of the 30 Day Song Challenge. It might be too easy, but I think I'm OK with that tonight.

Let's keep laughing. Let's keep loving.

Let's move forward.

Day 29: A song you remember from your childhood

There are so many so, in the interest of my brain and as a tribute to Bob and Doug (no relation to the McKenzie's, hoser), let's dig back to Rocket Man. Music by Elton John. Words by Bernie Taupin.

Interpreted by William Shatner and Stewie Griffin.

If it was good enough for Howard Wolowitz then it's good enough for us.

"She packed my bags last night pre-flight..."


No comments: