Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Hmmm...A-Ha!


This is the one I've been dreading in the 30-Day Song Challenge.

Because, how do I write about this one at all?

Day 4: A song that reminds you of someone you'd rather forget

We all have those people. Chances are they are relationships (romantic/emotional ones) that have soured.

Musical taste often pays a price in that.

I'm trying to reconnect with Van Morrison, for instance. I've struggled with The Police and have a very on/off thing with U2 that's mostly "meh" right now.

Sometimes someone will come into your life that will help you rekindle that. But, often, it's a fatal connection.

I'm vacillating here.

The call here is "Take on Me" by A-Ha, and here's how I had it reach a point of tolerance.

You probably know that I'm divorced. It was (and sometimes still is) an emasculating experience that I could write a book on. "Take on Me" was her favorite song when I met her and, to be fair, I picked on it a lot.

Eventually, I let it pass but, obviously, it was a song I never wanted to hear again and, of course, it's a song that will never die, in the hell that is "Jack and Diane," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Old Time Rock and Roll."

Commercials use it. Stadiums use it for sing-alongs (a la "Living On a Prayer," which could also use a rocket launch).

Thankfully, Family Guy used it also, and that's where we reached a point of redemption.

"Daddy," Sean said to me years ago, "it's funny. Think of Chris Griffin."

That did it.

So, now, every time I hear it, I groan and then utter to myself in Chris Griffin's voice: "I DON'T KNOW."

Thanks, Sean.


No comments: