Sunday, May 03, 2020

Song Challenge Day Two and Yacht Rock Musical Musings

(Sirius XM -- hey, have I mentioned you can hear "The Clubhouse" there, on channel 211? Not sure if I've said that ...)

It's Sunday.

No, really. I just checked. Despite the belief to the contrary, it's not just "a day." It's Sunday.

It's Jazz brunch day. It's Breakfast with The Beatles.

It's perfect for Yacht Rock.

But, hold that thought, as we dispense with the song challenge.

Day 2: A song you like with a number in the title.

One comes up nicely, stretching from U2 to Billy Joel (C'etait Toi --You Were The One) to even Huey Lewis (The Only One). I mean, we could do this all day. I could go with the pandemicesque (I'm creating words now) loneliness of "One" by Three Dog Night (written by Harry Nilsson, and you get two numbers in the process!).

But, I'm leaning to a guilty pleasure: the album Heart and Soul by Joe Jackson. The song I chose is of wanting love again but, hopefully, one that isn't complicated, set against a sheen of 80s production and wailing saxophone.

I was recently told even my guilty pleasures are cool and, while I appreciate that, I don't think so, but...this probably isn't. "Be My Number Two," for the second day of the challenge, is the call. For the record, "99" by Toto also hits the mark perfectly.

"And if you got something to say to me, don't try to lay your funny ways on me..."



Now, to Yacht Rock. First, I need a ruling and, after consulting with Susan, I'm reaching for the High Priestess of Yacht Rock herself, the one and only Kathy Dempsey. Is this song -- in her opinion -- Yacht Rock? I guess I'd like to know where they got the notion.



Now, to my next concern. Have you ever considered the story of "The Piña Colada Song?"

As in, these two are terrible people? Credit to Susan, as she and I have broken this down to basic dissertation levels. This is masters level, Rupert Holmes 401!

Think about it: they're a miserable couple and they're looking to cheat on each other! She places a personal ad. He responds!

And, of course, it just has to be at an Irish bar (O'Malley's) where they'll cut through all this red tape.

It isn't the cutesy, "Aw, it's you," that our protagonist jackwagon says. In truth, even that isn't so cute. "Aw, it's you?!" Sounds like the time I deadpanned "Oh, there you are" and have never heard the end of it to the point that even I find it funny. You can't go wrong with the classics.

But, beyond that, he's awful. Who, in their right mind, even in 1979, refers to his girlfriend/wife/partner as "My old lady?"

Yet, there's more. How did they get together in the first place? Sure, I forget things. I might forget a favorite flower or something like that. But, to forget that she likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain but doesn't like yoga? Still, you forget that she has half a brain? And, trust me, if she's someone who likes making love at midnight in the dunes of the Cape, you will not forget her!

Shameful, dude. Like, ponderous.

They no doubt didn't last very long. Or, they were actually Jack and Diane all along.

Yet, somewhere, another part of me has just died as a DJ/computer hits "play" on that drivel.

And, I don't see that one lasting long each.

At least, I hope not.

No comments: