Tuesday, March 31, 2020

I'll Start With "Thank You"

A healthcare worker sits on a bench near Central Park, March 30, 2020. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)
Thank you.

It's not enough but it's all I have.

The thank you goes to everyone on the front line of this pandemic.

My sister works in a medical office. She has been administering COVID-19 tests. We're not good at being soft and emotional, so I'll write my admiration for her here, not tag her in it online, and move along.

But she's just one example of the doctors, nurses, EMT's, and everyone else in the medical world. I have several in my family and, simply, they rock.

Not to be forgotten are the police and corrections officers and firefighters who are exposed on  a consistent basis. I have those in my family as well.

They're the heroes as the numbers grow frightening (as if they weren't already).

Thanks is so trivial. But, sometimes, it's something.

I read and hear the horror stories from all over. New York, as has been noted, is the true epicenter, and we haven't reached the peak.

Yet I continue to read things from people who are being completely irresponsible. They'd rather risk themselves (and others -- which seems to get forgotten) as opposed to staying at home.

While those on the front line HAVE to put themselves at risk.

I have no polite way to process that.

There are many other people at the front of this. Think about the sanitation workers and those in food establishments and other "essential" workplaces. They deal with the public on a daily basis and they're at risk also.

So, again, thank you.

I'm beyond grateful that March is over. It's a month that is a free fall of emotions and I chose to basically ignore it all this year, save for acknowledging the anniversary of my first day at WGCH (yesterday).

Now, we can add the memory of a pandemic to March.

May we all see hope and better days in April.

No comments: