Sunday, March 08, 2020

Never Leave the Gate Open


I had business in the Hudson Valley today that took me out I-84 into Newburgh.

As always, my head looked towards Dutchess Stadium as I drove westbound on the highway in the morning.

I had some free time as I came back across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge (USELESS INFO TIME: the eastbound one opened almost 40 years ago, 17 years younger than the westbound span).

I paid the toll (Just $1.25 with EZ Pass...imagine that?) and jumped off at Exit 11...er, wait, no, Exit 41. Times change.

A few minutes later, I turned into the lot of Dutchess Stadium. There were a few cars, but it's not uncommon for people to park and ride there, especially at this time of year.

But...wait. A few people were actually walking...into...the...stadium.

The gate was open!

I was officially offered the play-by-play position* back in October but had not been in the stadium itself since last August. I've been dying to get back in.

* Since there's still some confusion, let me continue to say that the Renegades play-by-play job is only from June-September. I'll be right back on WGCH (conditions permitting) for Greenwich football in September as well as with Brunswick and Local Live and virtually any other commitment (Yes, Mahopac, I haven't given up on football with you). In fact, I can call other games on my non-Renegades game days (and maybe, if timed right, even on game day). So Little League and Legion and Babe Ruth baseball: I'm still here!

But, back to today. I couldn't resist the urge. I walked in and found myself on the familiar concourse on first base side. I glanced up towards the window that I will happily claim ownership of soon.

The left window is mine. The right one is for visiting radio (we used that when I first joined the team)
I wanted to go up the stairs and peer inside.

Batting practice was going on down below for some team (I wasn't sure). The sound of ball hitting bat and general baseball conversation permeated the air. The temperature was teasing that baseball was getting close. A young man walked around, cleaning the ballpark of trash. Various cups and wrappers of different shapes and sizes sat woefully on the concrete.

Though I didn't want to get yelled at or worse, I ascended the stairs I've climbed so many times and made my way to the door. The one with a sign next to it that says "HOME RADIO" in white outlined in Renegades light blue on a black field with a white box outlining it.

That's my booth!
I looked through the narrow window. There was a folding table -- MY TABLE! -- with a chair -- MY CHAIR! -- perched nearby. I began running things through my brain, like: do I want to change the orientation of the table so that I'm standing or sitting up against the window?

I wanted to organize it and clean it up. I wanted to start setting up equipment.

I quickly walked back downstairs within seconds.

A tease? Yes.

I'm waiting. Patiently. Waiting to see the game times appear on the schedule.

Waiting to finalize a spreadsheet for those who want to jump in with me.

Waiting for the promotional schedule.

Waiting for John Jay and Mahopac to play in early May to hopefully get a broadcast in at the stadium.

Waiting for the team to tell me to come on up and be a part of us!

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

I'm still hoping to go on a few road trips (yes, on my dime, but I'm hoping some friends want to join).

I want to start a podcast! I want to start writing for them now!

I want to see my name on the website and in the Baseball America Directory!

I want to see it...

Broadcaster: Rob Adams

I warned you that I'm going to make you sick of this.

I'm also waiting for Steve Gliner or Joe Ausanio (or Kristen Huss or Rick Zolzer) to hunt me down and tell me to shut up. Privately, I'm afraid they're each saying, "What have we done?"

I wanted to go in the store and get some swag so I can start preaching the gospel of Rascal and the Gades around Fairfield County.

Alas, I left.

I was soon out of Dutchess Stadium and back on I-84 east.

Heading for the Taconic Parkway.

Heading home.

A route I'll drive a lot later this year.

No comments: