Tuesday, March 03, 2020

The Old Account


I've used Mixlr as a broadcasting outlet for years. It was the first home of Hersam Acorn Radio, then HAN Radio. Then I used it for Greenwich Sentinel Radio (for, what, a month?) and it's been the home of Robcasting ever since.

Initially, I had a separate account that I created for the possibility of personal use. It was free and I just sort of left it alone.

Mixlr has changed some business practices, eliminating their free tier (shocking, I know) and is preparing to delete all old broadcasts on accounts that aren't paid.

Thus, I deleted my "Rob Adams 1" account earlier this morning.

To you, this means nothing. In the long run, it doesn't mean a lot to me beyond today.

But, sitting there in my archive of this old account, were six broadcasts. They were all tests, including a game that Paul Silverfarb and I called in early Nov, 2013.

Still, it's a time capsule.

We needed a place to try things as the idea of Hersam Acorn Radio/HAN Radio percolated through the latter half of 2013, so I created a free account.

The "broadcasts" are literally just talking about nothing. It's me and my colleagues testing our Bluetooth equipment, a mixer, microphones, and seeing how things sound. The broadcasts were heard by a select few (and I mean that. You needed to be given the OK to listen to this "top secret" project).

I would often be holed up in a closet in our old Ridgefield office, with some wondering where I was, until -- golly, how did that happen? -- an office gadfly just happened to open the door and "stumble" in to see me.

I mean, what were the odds?

Thus opening up the official gossip mill.

The next thing was to try out a game, and Paul and I went to Brunswick to call the Bruins' game against Berkshire. Again, the audience was maybe 5 people as we did not promote. In fact, we told Brunswick to essentially ignore us. We were there to test things.

Our radio project officially went live on Nov 21, 2013 with our first game (our grand opening) a night later -- my 45th birthday, for what it's worth -- as New Canaan beat St. Joe's for the football FCIAC Championship.

I thought the whole thing might collapse that night.

But that's a story for another time.

**Please know that I'm still on Mixlr and that nothing has changed. Robcasting is still at http://mixlr.com/robcasting-radio.

No comments: