Monday, March 02, 2020

Lipton's Questionnaire

James Lipton and Tom Hanks (Photo: Getty Images)
This one has been sitting in the Drafts folder for some time, but with the passing of James Lipton at the age of 93, it seemed like it was time to publish it.

This was actually supposed to be post number two back in August, 2006.

I thought -- as a way of opening up to you, my trusty readers -- I'd list the questions asked by James Lipton at the end of Inside the Actors Studio.

Somehow, I thought it was narcissistic, so I shelved the idea. The last thing I wanted to hear was that I made it all about me.

I recently mentioned it to a friend, and I was told I should do it. So here it is, on the day that we learned Mr. Lipton has died.

1. What is your favorite word? "Yes." Or "trivet."
2. What is your least favorite word? In lieu of saying the one I truly detest, I hate "no." I also don't like "sorry."
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Collaboration.
4. What turns you off? Questions.
5. What is your favorite curse word? S*it
6. What sound or noise do you love? Laughter (especially from a child), and the crack of a baseball bat.
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Screaming.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Musician.
9. What profession would you not like to do? High rise window washer.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "He's waiting for you at the bar."

Lipton based that questionnaire off one created by French television host Bernard Pivot on Apostrophes, based on the Proust Questionnaire. I have long admired Lipton and his work on Inside the Actor's Studio, and should I ever find out if Heaven exists, and get to have that drink, I will certainly raise a toast to Mr. Lipton and his collection of index cards.

To a job well done, sir.

No comments: