Friday, March 06, 2020

The Scorecard

My book
It's March 6th.

I called basketball last night and will call ice hockey tomorrow. I'll also call lacrosse next week with more basketball and even dodge ball (YES! REALLY!) to follow.

Hockey might be done after tomorrow, though I'm still hopeful for a return trip to New Jersey in May for the World Selects.

In the case of each sport that I broadcast, my scoresheet is hyper-important. I've designed sheets for pretty much each of the sports I broadcast.

But, in sports, is there a more important scorecard than baseball?

I mean, I know other sports are going to debate that. Yes, a full scorecard in basketball tracks shooting and turnovers and points. Mine uses the fundamentals: points, two-point field goals, three-pointers, and free throws made, as well as free throws missed. I also keep a running score. I need to add timeouts to it but that's not the end of the world.

Yes, I could add more for hockey, such as shots on goal. Again, I've made the best of it for years.

Football? I could do a whole run down of plays, drives, yards, sacks, etc.

But, overall, I don't lean on statistics. They're lovely if available. Even necessary in spots.

Mr. Scully (Vin) has said he following: "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."

Indeed.

So, back to baseball. My baseball scorecard (or scorebook, if you wish) is an essential. Not for OPS, WAR, WHIP, or whatever, but for the facts: pitches thrown, what a batter did, and basic pitcher information.

As I prepare for over 50 baseball games this spring (with the first one -- WOO HOO -- just a few weeks away), I'm reviewing scorecards. I have a style that I've used for years that I can't find in print anymore so I just keep making copies (my apologies, I'll buy it if I find it). It mostly accomplishes what I want but it's not perfect. There are only 10 innings and space for only four pitchers.

Modern baseball -- especially in the minor leagues (aka, the Hudson Valley Renegades) tends to use multiple pitcher.

However, I like the diamond on this scorevard to color in and boxes to fill in for RBIs and balls and strikes. Overall, it's a good style.

I've tried a few other styles with various success. I've tried a few online styles also.

Again, everything has been with various degrees of success.

Now, let me make one thing clear: this is not a first world problem. No benefit concert is necessary. Tell Coldplay to go raise money for someone else (not that I don't need money, you know).

Everyone has their own style, and that's the beauty of scorekeeping. It's completely personal. You have to know what it means. That being said, I've often been told others can transcribe my book because it's fairly neat.

So I've tried designing my own in Excel and have never quite mastered it.

And, no, I'm not big on the Bob Carpenter book that many swear by. Yes, I know, YOU love it, but as I've said, scorekeeping is a very personal art.

Again, this is not a First World problem.

It's my issue and there are many different styles to look at.

I'll keep looking and I'm sure I'll figure out something that works.

No comments: