Thursday, March 12, 2020

Let's Work Together


(Big East Tourney today at MSG before it was halted at halftime -- Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post)

I woke up around 3:30.

I couldn't sleep.

Too much from the past few days have weighed on my mind (personal stuff also in addition to COVID-19).

I've basically become one of only a few in Connecticut media who continues to criticize how things have happened this week. I'm shocked who actually agrees with me.

I don't bow to the CIAC. Others made a nifty about-face, maybe to be in the cool kids club (I've seen it happen many times) or whatever.

But the point is moot now as so many organizations have shut down. Now the NCAA Tournament is in danger. So is Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League (they've actually already sort-of announced it).

Part of New York high school athletics has canceled. I'm told hockey championships are still on in Buffalo. My understanding is Massachusetts is still holding high school events. Ohio, on the other hand, just canceled their winter tourney.

We're in crisis mode.

Is the answer to simply go into hiding? Go get a giant bubble?

I just can't sit around and say, "It was the right thing to do" like some kind of lemming. It's happening, yes. That doesn't mean I blindly sit here and accept it. That "I told you so" crap had my blood boiling at 3:30 a.m. It's not necessary.

At this point, everyone needs to work together. Call me naive. We're all trying to process this. We're all trying to work through this.

Let's work to get this under control and get back to our respective fields of play.

A lot of people -- a lot -- are impacted in myriad ways by this. Health. Finances. Mentally.

So let's move forward. Sad that it feels like politics are playing here, or at least that we're acting like it's political.

I'm heading to Stamford in a moment to call -- as far as I can tell -- the only sporting event involving a Connecticut team (Brunswick/Episcopal lacrosse). It might be the only one in the Tri-State area.

Before I go further off the rails, let me head into Rule 55 territory.

I feel fine.

No comments: