Wednesday, March 04, 2020

A Call and Good Night


I don't have much in the tank tonight.

A double overtime hockey game left me pretty wiped out as this cold continues to beat me (and my voice) up.

Indeed, right back at it tomorrow for the FCIAC boys basketball championship (I think it's my sixth, for what that's worth).

Vin Scully, when calling Hank Aaron's 715th home run in 1974, said this about Dodgers pitcher Al Downing: "Downing has to ignore the sound effects and a stay a professional and pitch his game."

That, friends, is wonderful advice. I know there are some (Hi, Mike Hirn) who would love to read as I go off the deep end with tales of nonsense from this day.

Oh, if only I could. I'm still just, I don't know, befuddled?

But, what good does it do?

So I ignored the sound effects and remained a professional.

I just called my game.

So, doesn't it figure in the middle of this run, that we hit a double overtime dandy between New Canaan and Ridgefield? No matter how much I thought I might collapse or any other nefarious thought, I simply blocked it out and kept going.

I'm not a hero -- let's be clear. But I jump in and start talking. It's not brain surgery.

And when it was over, it sounded like this...
Check this out on Chirbit

No fancy one-liners. Nothing scripted. Just the facts and the natural sound.

Ignore the sound effects.

Whatever bothered me in the day is gone. Gripe and grumble at other points.

Remain a professional.

Tomorrow, I have the duty of calling the final FCIAC championship appearance in the history of Trinity Catholic High School, as they play the defending champion, Ridgefield.

Back at it then.
 

No comments: