Wednesday, March 18, 2020

What's Next For Doubleheader?


I've mostly stayed home as we're all supposed to be doing and only going out as needed.

Basically, I haven't left Mahopac/Carmel/Somers since last Thursday.

That means I haven't been near WGCH and I don't expect to see the studio for some time.

While one can say we're overreacting and panicking -- and that's certainly their prerogative -- the facts have are that we need to take this seriously.

So that means coming up with another plan for "Doubleheader."

If Bob Small is in the WGCH studio then, sure, we'll stay at 4 p.m. and things will stay (mostly) the same as I'll do the show from home.

But...if not?

How about turning "Doubleheader" into an online show via Robcasting and Facebook Live? At the same time, I could also revive it my Tales From the Booth podcast.

Thus "Tales From the Doubleheader" (no, not really the title).

Or does nobody care and am I wasting my time?

See, the truth is I fear the latter is true. When I'm on GCH, I don't know how many listens I get. But I see the ugly truth on Robcasting/Facebook/podcasting.

I think I still have stories to tell. As you know, I work from the hip with a skeleton outline so that it's not scripted. I want my show to be a place where people can gather and talk sports (or life -- everything is open).

In this way, I want to try to take phone calls for interviews and open chat.

I have a Google number -- (845) 432-5553 -- and I've rebuilt my home studio.

So, do we do this?

If it's on WGCH, we'll be committed to 4 p.m. If not, we're open.

We can play with this format and I'm open to suggestions. 

With Tom Brady moving to Tampa Bay, four Brooklyn Nets testing positive for Coronavirus, and the CIAC's wait-and-see approach to spring sports, there are definitely topics.

More than that, I'd like to get more athletes and coaches and stories back on the air, and there's no better time for it than now. I want to talk to the Greenwich girls basketball players who lost their state championship opportunity. I want to talk to baseball players in Mahopac and lacrosse players at Brunswick to get their thoughts.

I want to have media types on.

I want to tell stories because that's what I do.

I want everyone on.

Beyond that, we can hit the "Tales From the Booth" side of things with historical content, including items from my own archive, such as interviews and full games.

We have a very clean slate to work with.

Is there interest?

No comments: