Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Historic


I saw the press release in my inbox.

The CIAC -- that bastion of high school sports in the Connecticut -- was holding a press conference regarding the winter sports tournaments due to the Coronvirus pandemic.

Speculation followed. Cancel? Play in empty arenas?

I couldn't watch because I was in a spot that I was unable to.

Then I saw the announcement via Twitter.

All tournaments are finished. No more games until spring.

So often, I react. I fly off the handle and the sparks fly magnificently in my wake.

I wanted to think this one over, and I did. I read the reactions all afternoon. I had until 4:00 when I would do Doubleheader from home.

But, in truth, I was seething, and it kept burning.

Yes, I know. Safety first. Yet, riddle me this: members of the Greenwich High School girls basketball team will walk right back into GHS tomorrow morning, as they did today. In a school that is like a small town, they'll sit in classrooms and go about their normal days.

But they can't play in the state semifinal game on Friday night against Staples in an empty gym? Does that make any sense?

I've had hours to think about it. I made it through Doubleheader without yelling or saying anything incendiary. But, still, over eight hours after getting the news, I still have yet to be convinced that the "abundance of caution" can't be achieved without emptying the arenas and playing the games.

My idea remains solid: round up the reporters, broadcasters, and social media types who can send the information out to the world. Send 1-2 to each game. Keep the gym or rink empty otherwise, save for the obvious (athletes, coaches, trainers, officials, personnel).

Play the game and report. Simple.

And wash your hands. Common sense.

Instead, a total panic is rolling like a (Darien Blue) Wave.

But, again, most schools will still be open tomorrow. Some will not. Colleges also. States of Emergency are being put in place.

There are schools *cough* *cough* *Norwalk* who said their teams would not participate moving forward and, thus, forfeit. I feel terrible for those students. I guarantee they wanted to play. There were sites that weren't comfortable hosting. Fine. Find other sites (they exist).

At this point, I want to see teams go find a couple of hoops and just play. I want to see hockey teams go on as well. Somehow.

Gone are the great stories, like the aforementioned Greenwich girls basketball team or literally any other story. To the CIAC and those defending the canceling of the tournaments, those are just a footnote.

Understood and respected. There isn't necessarily any easy or correct answer. I hope money isn't a factor in this, but I suspect it probably is (empty arena means no $$$).

I like my idea but not everyone does and, of course, I've engaged in debates with only a few people today.

They're in the large minority.

But there's also enormous outrage. Notre Dame West Haven basketball coach Jason Shea was outspoken in his disdain for the decision. He, and others, have said to just go forth without the backing of the CIAC.

I, for one, would jump in and help be a media partner. That's how strongly I believe in it.

But despite every protest and petition, the CIAC will likely not back down. The winter is over.

All around us, things mostly continue. New York and New Jersey and Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Game on! (Like I said: mostly)

Today was historic.

And sad.

And those who shouldn't lose -- the athletes -- lost today. Badly.

The adults often shouldn't be the ones deciding for the kids.

No comments: