Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rule 55 Re-explained

During our Sunday "Breakfast and Baseball" trip, Sheryl, Tim, Jason and I got to talking about el blog-o-rific. Sheryl inquired as to what Rule 55 was. I explained why it was created but as I got to thinking about it, I don't think I ever truly discussed its meaning here. So let's review the genesis (the Peter Gabriel years...ha) of the one thing this blog has created.

First of all, "Rule 55" is copyright 2008 Rangers In Exit 55 (or whatever Sean Kilkelly and I want to name our company). All rights reserved, except in Alaska and Hawaii, or something like that.

Unless you're new to the blog, you know that things have at times been a wee bit stressful. As the stress began to build, I often wanted to write about it here. Eventually I realized that was poor form and thought better of it. Most of the time, it related to something bad and personal-related. It could be work, a friend, my family, or something else that would grind my gears.

You can probably guess what it was about most of the time.

So I began to post videos as a way of saying that I had something to say but that "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

Thanks, Thumper...

It could be seen to those in my inner-most circle (my family and my closest friends) as a cry for help - but only occasionally. Sometimes I did it in the hope that someone would send me an email, drop me a line, stating point of view (sorry, that's "When I'm Sixty-four" by the Beatles). It was my own sort of Bat Signal.

Most of the time, it was used to vent.

It didn't have a name; it was just something I did. Sean Kilkelly took note of it and one day decided to invoke it. In doing so, he gave it a name. I loved it, and said so.

And Rule 55 was born. A collection of samples are here.

Of course, it wouldn't be right if I didn't post a video (not truly a Rule 55 moment, but I feel I most do so anyway). Heineken is lately putting out some good commercials. I like this one.

I would have posted the walk-in fridge/closet one, but I couldn't find it in English.

No comments: