Friday, June 12, 2009

Mets Win...Wait, WHAT?!?!?

(REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine)

It was over. A-Rod had failed and the boo birds were ready to attack.

Then it was over and the Yankees had won.

It was an up and down game. The Mets had built up a comfy lead, the Yankees took it back, the Mets again took the lead (against Mo) and that took us to the ninth inning.

On came K-Rod. Derek Jeter reached with a one-out single. Johnny Damon struck out on a 3-2 pitch out of the strike zone (oh did I react to that). Then they walked Teixeira, eventually intentionally. Up came A-Rod.

K-Rod against A-Rod.

Normally I wish for a hit - that would tie it. Tonight though I got greedy; such is my dislike of the Dodgemets (that might be my new name for them) and more specifically, K-Rod.

I asked A-Rod to hit it to the f'ing moon.

But K-Rod, after falling behind 3-0, got A-Rod to pop up to the outfield grass. Jeter and Teixeira were running on contact with two outs. I knew it was over but yet, I watched the way second baseman Luis Castillo was dancing around on the grass, trying to settle under the call. So I thought, maybe...

He tried to catch it with one hand (are my Carmel Phillies reading this?) and he...dropped...the...ball.

In came Jeter. That tied it, but Teixeira, running all the way, slid in with the game winner.

One question: why did Castillo throw to second base after he dropped the ball?

Whatever. Game over. Losing streak over. I danced around the living room. Being alone in the house can have its advantages.

Yeah yeah yeah, I could have been there tonight. It's OK. I still hate the Subway Series, so I'm content to have watched it from here.

No comments: