Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving Leftovers

 

Postgame

I can't quite process today and, frankly, I'm too tired to try.

Greenwich beat Staples in overtime (to my knowledge, the first GHS game to go OT) in a game that's already being called an instant classic.

While I'll let that marinate it's hard to argue.

The Cardinals couldn't seem to take a lead and, as soon as they finally did, the Wreckers answered. It took a late drive for a touchdown and a two-point conversion to even things up at 28.

After a three and out by the Wreckers to start OT, Thomas Foster busted up the middle for a 10-yard score and the game. The Cardinals won 34-28.

With the victory and some other things going the right way, Greenwich now heads to the state playoffs where they will take on Fairfield Prep. Those two met at Cardinal Stadium in October with GHS getting the win. This time, the scene shifts to Rafferty Stadium in Fairfield on Tuesday.

Chris Erway and I plan to be on the call.

As usual, I'm beating myself up over the winning touchdown call and other things. Like I said, I can't process it.

But that aside it's hard to argue that this wasn't one to remember.

The rest of the day was basically like anyone else's Thanksgiving shindig. Family, food, etc.

I ate, I laughed, I talked, I smiled for pictures. Overall I can't complain.

I guess if there's anything I can offer (or repeat) it's that the holidays are tough for many and mental health needs to be monitored. I've been up since 3 a.m. because of demons dancing in my own brain and I expect to sleep tonight simply out of pure exhaustion.

Personally, I battle with telling you these things because I fear it's seen as a "Peter and the Wolf" case or "he's just making it all about himself." No, I'm explaining where I'm coming from while reaffirming that the holidays are very difficult.

People have losses or are lonely or can't afford to buy gifts or simply have anxiety or whatever reason and, you know what? You don't get to decide if it's valid or not. Some people just simply didn't want to see Al Roker on their TVs this morning or hear Mariah Carey caterwauling.

And some sure as hell don't want to hear about Grandma and reindeer.

Many will have a stiff upper lip and, sadly, it's simply too much for others. Putting on the brave face is the thing but they can easily cry the tears of the clown. I worry for my friends who have lost loved ones this year as this is their first holiday season without that person.

So that's my message: be kind and look out for each other.

I'm thankful to be sitting here tonight to relay that message to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this Rob and well said. Sometimes you need to talk about the hard things, keep the conversation going.
Hope you had a good weekend!