Monday, November 22, 2021

On This Day

 

Something else happened on Nov 22

I blew out the most unique birthday candle today at lunch and I loved it.

I'm not really one for being sung to like that but Sean likes seeing me be embarrassed in that moment so it is a small price to pay.

Earlier this month, co-conspirator John Nash began writing about things that he is thankful for. I took it up a few times this month but didn't really carry the ball much more than that.

Still, at this time, when an outrageous amount of people took the time to text, call or write, how can I feel anything other than gratitude?

And for those who didn't get in touch? I'm not bothered at all. In truth, I miss a lot of birthdays and I've always tried to be that person to wish one well. But life gets complicated.

So, in short, thank you all. 

Every year, around this time, I try to respond to each note on social media. It's something I believe in and I'll try to continue to do it as it's a small gesture to thank everyone.

Now, while I try, I'm bound to miss someone or commit a spelling error or make some kind of unintentional boneheaded mistake. I don't leave people out of things or ignore anyone maliciously.

That's why -- if you're familiar with me -- you know I'm not a big fan of listing people. Inevitably I'll forget someone for whatever reason. My best intentions  -- truly well-meaning -- somehow get me in trouble.

The amazing thing is that I'm capable of getting myself in trouble without even trying! I can be sharing happy and honest thoughts and, somehow, I wind up wearing the black hat.

It's not my intention.

*****

Nov 22 is known of course for being the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. Because of that it's an event that I've paid close attention to. I've studied it, especially from a media standpoint.

It's fair to say that there are probably three events that have changed how we disseminate information: Pearl Harbor, JFK's assassination, and Sep 11, 2001.

But, to me, it's 11/22/63 that seemed to be the dawn of a new world. 

Pearl Harbor was a radio event and there was a lot of scrambling.

September 11, 2001, was, basically, our last "pre-social media" event. While we saw some things change (the beginning of the "bottom line" that is now on basically every information program) it didn't reinvent the wheel.

The JFK assassination reinvented everything and you could basically see it all happening if you were watching (and listening on the radio).  Reporters scrambled to phone booths and programmers grappled with the best way to report what was going on.

The NFL famously went on and played that weekend -- a decision that commissioner Pete Rozell regretted for the rest of his life.

From the very first report -- on WFAA TV in Dallas -- it was clear this was like nothing we'd ever seen. Just watching everyone fumble their way through information gathering is fascinating. Watching as they try to relay what is being said on the telephone is merely a hint of how far we have come.

 

The networks would all soon come aboard, most famously with Walter Cronkite choking up as he reported that the President had died.

A YouTube user -- David Von Pein -- has a channel dedicated to the radio and television coverage of the event as it happened. It's an intense amount of items to watch and listen to. If you want to see news coverage literally change on the fly, I encourage you to go visit his page.

We've obviously come a long way since then. 

For better and for worse.

No comments: