Sunday, November 14, 2021

Dead Horse Society

 


I have a collection of silly accounts that I follow on Twitter (aka "twidiots") that beat one topic to death after another. I literally follow them for entertainment purposes.

One, in particular, has a collection of topics that are thrown out on a repeated basis.

We get it. You don't think managers don't manage in baseball anymore. Well, no, they don't. At least not like managers of a distant past. A computer makes the lineup but they still get paid to manage personalities and make in-game adjustments. You know players don't wear wool uniforms anymore, right?

Speaking of uniforms, the other dead topic (his latest) is complaining about the new uniform number rules (or lack thereof) in the NFL. Previously, a linebacker (for instance) couldn't wear a single-digit number in the past. Now, basically, anything goes.

There's so much more I could say about that account but I won't.

Instead, I'm going to pick on my own "dead horses."

- "Black is not a Mets color." Yes, I've said that and it's become a signoff on "Doubleheader" for me. I'm fair enough to see that the New York Metropolitans have some sweet uniforms, especially from the early part of their life. So, basically, we're talking 1969. In the late 90s, the Metsies felt that black was all the rage. It was ugly then and it is ugly now. Also, for those wanting them back due to "tradition," you made a few playoff appearances and went to ONE World Series which you LOST. Who did they lose to? Hmmm...I think they wear pinstripes on their uniforms. Anyway, you got your wish and that tradition got you...another year without the playoffs.

- The Nike Swoosh. OK, since I've opened on a uniform gripe, this is another one that thuds in my sull. I get it -- baseball made $1 billion or whatever in their deal with Nike but did it HAVE to go on the front of the uniform? it's just more Nike obnoxiousness and MLB cluelessness. I still can't look at them without feeling a little ill. Especially on the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, and the other great unis. But put them all over the Mets black disasters. Feel free!

- The "Sunday Night Football" song. Yeah, "I've been waiting all day for Sunday night," which I don't think a single person has ever said. It was rough enough when it started with P!nk, then moved to Faith Hill, and now it's Carrie Underwood (full disclosure: not a fan). For the love of Pete Rozelle please stop. I thought Bocephus and his "Rowdy Friends" was painful enough.

- Maroon 5 sucks. This one is a running gag at this point, but yeah, Maroon 5 does suck. I was sitting with a friend recently (I won't sell them out by name) when a song came on the in-house music system. 

My friend: "The worst Super Bowl show ever." 
Me: "Who?" 
Them: "Maroon 5." 
Me: "Say no more. 

Seriously. Say no more, and I stand by my belief (backed up by my friend) that Adam Levine has the most punchable face in music. We even spoke more kindly of Justin Bieber (for his hockey knowledge; not his music).

- Waffle House and other "culinary" delights. This sits in the collection of pop culture dead horses that I'm known for:

    - Vin Scully. We get it. He's great and I know everything about him.

    - Huey Lewis. Say no more.

    - The Beatles. Really?

But, yes, Waffle House, etc. It's become a go-to thing for people to talk to me about (along with Scully, HL, etc). And I admit I thread it in wherever I can (or post pictures of its sumptuous goodness).

- Fights with Kato. Chris Kaelin and I haven't don't it as much recently, but I will say his spot as "angriest man alive" has been surpassed by the aforementioned Twitter account (another Mets fan). But that's just it. Kato doesn't have the "Metsies" fire as much in him anymore. Also, Kato really isn't that angry. This other dude? Yeah. 

- Play-by-play criticism. I actually try to stay away from this one but I always have friends reaching out with clips for me to hear or live games for me to tune into. I appreciate that they want my input and reaction. In fact, my initial idea tonight was to write about some things that bug me currently. They include the inability to tell a story and the need to rely on the myriad notes they've shown up with. Also, the constant need for talking versus letting the game breathe. Also, everyone wants to be Tony Romo lately. They think they can predict the game. Lastly, I'm all for people trying to be a broadcaster but too many -- especially newbies -- don't get the rhythm. They talk over the play. See what I mean? I can't help myself.

- My son, father, mother, cat, etc. Self-explanatory, I suppose.

- These twidiots. I often screenshot them and send them to some friends. Hypocrisy and other nonsense don't pass my smell test so I send the screenshots so 1) we can have a good laugh, and 2) I don't respond to them.

I'm sure I have other dead horses and things I post to excess but hopefully, they're easily ignored.

Just like this post.


No comments: