Sunday, November 28, 2021

Chrissie Hynde

 

Chambers, Farndon, Honeyman-Scott, Hynde

"...nobody cares about age if you dress cool."

Chrissie Hynde is a boss. 

First, she was the powerhouse lead vocalist, primary songwriter, and guitarist for the Pretenders. Then she basically became the Pretenders, holding the name close as members came and went, with two original members dying due to drugs. Original drummer Martin Chambers was in, then out, and is back in whenever the band gets together.

But, still, it's Chrissie, and she's a boss. She didn't fit the mold. She didn't care what you said or how you said it and she'd tell you that. She married Jim Kerr of Simple Minds, had a child, and divorced him.

She's lived a fascinating life, including being on the scene of the Kent State Massacre in 1970. Her friend's boyfriend was one of the victims.

Of course, the bigger thing with Hynde is the music. Simply "Pretenders" -- their first album -- would be enough to secure legendary status, with the thrash of opening track "Precious" hitting you right between the eyes. The album has landed on numerous "greatest" lists for good reason.

Their second album might not be the big classic the first one is but still holds up pretty well, with "Message of Love" being a personal favorite.

Then bassist Pete Farndon was fired in 1982. Two days later, lead guitarist James Honeyman-Scott was found dead. Less than a year later, Farndon also died.

Hynde and Chambers regrouped and did "Back on the Chain Gang" in honor of Honeyman-Scott. The band continued in the manner of a revolving door of members after that.

But Chrissie is still Chrissie.

Anyway, I'm babbling about all of this today because I saw Hynde posted on Facebook* a few hours ago with a message of love, titled "Reasons to be Cheerful." 

I love how one of her posts says that "I just send these ramblings to my office to try and do my bit. I write ‘em / they post ‘em. You read ‘em. Unless you’re like me that is."

*That's a link to her Facebook page. The post is dated 11/28/21 if you can't read the embedded link below.


I guess I just liked the positivity of the message, the little glimpses of her not caring and sense of humor, and her just being...as I said...a boss.

And I love that line about not caring about age if you dress cool. It's so true. I'm tired of the tropes of acting one's age. I'm 53 and sitting in a football jersey currently. 

To be clear, that doesn't mean I agree with everything she says and does and it's truly sad that I have to even add that caveat. What a world we live in.

Rock on, Chrissie Hynde, and thank you.



No comments: