Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A Wednesday "Doubleheader"

 


"Welcome to Doubleheader on 1490 AM, 105.5 FM, and WGCH dot com. Rob Adams here and you there as we pay tribute to the Schmoozer, Steve Somers."

I didn't do "DH" today but boy I could have had a dandy. So let's sort of do that here.

We start with the CIAC decision to expand the football playoffs in 2022. Look, I get the issue. You think "everyone gets a trophy" and that's a very fair gripe. I agree with you to be honest. Yes, Connecticut is a state where it's tempting to say that four divisions are too many, let alone six or eight.

I remember the years of Class MM and the like along with the Class LL Large and Small. It's too much.

But, somewhere along the line, I'd like everyone to think about the people that we never seem to think about and that's the athletes. One can assume their AD's and coaches can speak for them but do they really?

So do the athletes want more championships? You know with that comes the risk of more blowouts and that's never a good thing.

The knee-jerk reaction is something I'm as guilty as anyone of and, at first glance, I rolled my eyes when I read about the expansion. Then I began to think about it. It simply occurred to me that we're all entitled to opinions (that seems to always get lost in the shuffle) but, at the end of the day, it's the people most closely associated with high school athletes who need to be heard.

I think anything more than four is too much but, then again, I'll go broadcast those games any day.

The athletes are the ones who matter.

We'll continue after this from The Money Store...

OK, welcome back to "Doubleheader."

Let's turn to Major League Baseball for a bit.

First, um, did I miss something? Did Tom Seaver get traded again? Jon Matlack? Jerry Koosman? 

Cone? Doc? Darling?

Wait. You're telling me Noah Syndergaard left the Mets to go sign with the Angels?

For the love of Babe Ruth, stop whining about it. Sure, I like "Thor" and wish him well. He's got a fun personality and is (was?) a good pitcher. But this isn't Sandy Koufax we're talking about.

He came to the Mets in 2015 and had a nice career for sure. I get being a little whistful as he departs for sunny California but let's not make him out to be something he's not.

Yes, he seemed to indicate that he'd accept the Mets qualifying offer to stay but, a the end of the day, the Angels gave him a deal that he likes and he took it. This isn't John Tavares bailing to go play hockey in Toronto.

I certainly get saying some sort of farewell on social media but otherwise, stop whining. He decided to take a deal elsewhere. He could have stayed and he didn't.

I personally wish him well but it just strikes me by a certain subset of fans accepts mediocrity (such as black jerseys). That's not to say Syndergaard was mediocre at all but he also has three years in which he made under 10 appearances -- 2017, 2020, and 2021. Yes, I know that he had surgery which kept him out until the very end of this past season.

Still, there's a risk and the Angels took it. It could be a very costly decision.

Doubleheader continues after this from the Dime Savings Bank on 1490 AM, 105.5 FM, and WGCH dot com.

We continue on this Wednesday edition.

Since this has become another edition of "Stupid Things Mets Fans Say," allow me to pause for a moment to call out my Yankees brethren.

In general, the past 24 hours or so have not been the best and brightest in the history of Yankees Twitter.

Or Mets Twitter for that matter but let's leave them out of this.

Let's stop proposing every dumb trade under the sun. Brian Cashman is in his job for a reason -- like it or not.

We all have a shopping list, whether it's wanting Matt Olson or resigning Anthony Rizzo or bringing in Corey Seager. Whatever the case, relax. I get that you're angry at no World Series since 2009. Trust me, I get it.

For one thing, we're going to see a quick collection of signings, and then we're going to shut down because the sport is dumb enough to go into another labor war -- one that we've all known has been brewing for a while.

But stop with the moaning, Yankees fans. Just stop. You look irrational and ridiculous.

Like...

Oh, did you see the National League Cy Young Award was announced?

Corbin Burnes of the Brewers is your winner, as well as Robbie Ray of the Jays in the American League.

Congrat---you---er, what? What do you mean Burnes can't really celebrate it thanks to Mets fans. 

Mets fans, have you truly. -- I mean truly -- lost your mind? You think the Cy Young should have gone to Jacob deGrom?

You do realize he came in ninth, earning one FIFTH place vote, right?

That puts him a mere 150 votes behind Burnes.

All of the first place votes were split between Burnes, Zack Wheeler, and Max Scherzer.

Did you pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue?

You don't help yourself when you act like this, guys.

We'll return to Doubleheader after this word from Manufacturers Hanover.

Well, we've just about run out of time for this edition of the show. What else is there to say? The Jets are laughable and will turn to Joe Flacco to run the offense this week. Richard Todd is apparently unavailable.

So that will do it for this edition of "Doubleheader." I'll be off at the Greenwich Old Timer's banquet tomorrow and football on Friday so I'll expect to talk to you again on Monday.

Remember -- friends don't let Mets fans wear black. 

See you next time.

Remember, "Kiner's Korner" is up next!

Adios.


No comments: