Thursday, November 11, 2021

Tell it Again. It's Veterans Day

 

The gorgeous retouched photo

I was going to simply repost something from 2019.

Instead, I'll simply restate it.

Today is Veterans Day and we're all thanking veterans, as we should. We know -- or should know -- it's different from Memorial Day, having first been Armistice Day. That, I hope you know, was the day to mark the end of hostilities in World War I in the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" in 1918.

We all know it for what it is now.

Earlier today, I posted a picture of my father in uniform, shot outside of his parent's house in Lake Secor. My guess is it was taken sometime around 1951.

My Facebook friend and outstanding baseball author J Daniel, surprised me by touching up the picture and sending it back to me.

But, what I always want to make clear -- what I think my dad would always want you to know -- was that while he joined the Army and went to Aberdeen Proving Ground he did not serve in Korea.

Private Adams was ultimately honorably discharged due to "Disability existing prior to entry on active service and not aggravated by military service."

He returned to New York and resumed his civilian life.

So while he is indeed a veteran and a flag is placed on his grave to recognize his service, he never wanted to confuse his intentions with those who served and went to battle.

He served as much as he could.

I always feel duty-bound to tell you this in honor of him.

He'd thank all for serving, as do I.

I thank him as well.

No comments: