Friday, November 12, 2021

Processing

 

Senior night ceremonies at Brunswick

I'm home from calling another exciting Brunswick football win.

Brunswick 28, Trinity-Pawling 20.

Nerve-wracking and so on, with the Pride of T-P driving for a late score, only to come up empty on fourth down in the shadow of the end zone.

There are those who think you have to go back and listen to it again when it's over. I did that years ago. Now? I pick out the highlights (if any) and move on.

I don't expect something magical to come out of it. I know where I wasn't good and that's it.

A night like this -- when there's so much going on -- I just try to stay in the moment. See the ball, call the ball. That's what a play-by-play announcer does.

I could have been calling a couple of New York Section 1 finals but Brunswick said they wanted me and it's nice to feel wanted.

It's nice when parents come to the booth, specifically because they want to meet you.

But, like with anything else, I pour everything into it. I fell asleep on the train home from the Hunt Scanlon conference on Wednesday. I was exhausted walking out of Cosby Field tonight. 

As I've said, there was a reason that we hung out in the parking lot after games. I took that time to decompress.

Giving heart and soul -- making sure the broadcast is getting the best I've got -- is what I believe in.

It was a night of adjusting. Ian Nicholas joined me for the broadcast. He's a good guy with a bright future and I hope he learned things as we worked together tonight. But it's an adjustment when you work with someone new.

I've said too many times how important chemistry is. That's part of what makes Chris Erway and I so good together. We know the rhythm and we're also friends.

The window I normally work in was taken by the videographer tonight, who produces a marvelous broadcast on his own, including running a camera and producing replays.

So, I adjusted. I stepped into the bigger room at Brunswick and grabbed a window, wedging myself in for the next three hours or so. Mike Harris -- the hysterically funny public address announce and my friend -- used the other window. The last room was for the scoreboard operator.

That left Ian to do analysis off of a monitor behind me. It wasn't ideal.

But, again. We adjusted.

So to listen to it again? No. I'm not going to do that.

I've uploaded the game and by all means, give it a listen (here's the unedited Mixcloud link, while the edited version exists on Archive.org). I know enough about it already.

Good game.

Now, I move onto Stamford and Greenwich tomorrow.

Shawn Sailer will be there.

Game time is 1 p.m.


No comments: