Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Baseball History in One Scene

 

"All Stars Dream Scene" by Jamie Cooper

I don't remember exactly when I saw the above painting for the first time, but I remember my reaction.

I think I might have drooled.

Then I began naming the names. Most were easy. Some needed a closer eye.

But I love the detail of it. There's the famed photographer Charles Conlan on the stairs and Pete Rose hiding in the stands as a janitor.

Of course, looking on the field one sees the golden smile of The Mick, while The Babe is calling his shot with Shoeless Joe. Speaking of Joe, Joltin' Joe and Teddy Ballgame are in the dugout talking about who was really the MVP in 1941. Ted's .406 still stands as the last to top .400 in a season but Joe D. hit in 56 straight games and led the Yankees to the American League title.

A quick note about DiMaggio: The Yankees won the World Series in '41 (of course). But DiMag -- in a 13-year career (three years lost to WWII), went to TEN World Series and won NINE. The guy was a pretty great ballplayer. He also blocked me from number five, thus this place is called "Exit 55."

The fourth face of the Yankees' Mount Rushmore is on the left as Larrupin' Lou chats with Captain Jeter. Yogi is there also and appears to be making Stan The Man laugh as Denton True Young -- "Cy," please -- sits nearby.

I'm sure someone will say Jeter doesn't belong in the picture. Remember, he's overrated. Jealousy, people. 

Maybe you disagree with Greg Maddux talking on the dugout with Sandy Koufax and Christy Mathewson. Maybe you'd prefer Tom Terrific or Pedro or Bob Gibson. I'd be fine with any of them but I like seeing those three artists sitting there, just as I like the juxtaposition of Walter Johnson and Nolan Ryan -- fireballers both -- shaking hands nearby.

I mean, look, if I had it my way Eddie Ford (Whitey) and The Great Mariano would be included but I think the picture is great as is.

Plus what's not to love with three trailblazers and great players in Jackie, the Hammer, and Roberto at the corner of the dugout? Pioneers and heroes, all.

Michael Jack Schmidt stands out in his brilliant blue Phillies uniform and The Kid has his hat backward (of course) as he talks to the Say Hey Kid and Cal is looking over Jeet's shoulder at the Iron Horse.

Honus (Hans) Wagner crouches next to The Georgia Peach. 

Two other people are in this wonderful scene from Comiskey Park in 1933. I'll let the artist tell you the full story from here.

The glorious game has a history that is brilliant and sketchy and sometimes shameful. It is anything but perfect. 

Perfection in baseball is the likes of Don Larsen. He's too Goofy (capitalization intended) to be a part of this scene.

The picture will evolve. It has to. New faces can join it and will.

We -- the present -- have to make sure to preserve the past and embrace where we are.

And spread the game. 

Spread it.

"You can observe a lot by just watching," said Lawrence Peter Berra.

That picture is proof of that.

The 1933 American League All-Star Team


No comments: