Friday, November 05, 2021

Investing in Me


 

I'm typing from a new computer tonight.

Like everything else I do, I took too long to buy it and researched it ten different ways.

I compared prices and talked myself out of it.

But as my trusty MacBook of the last five years was slowly failing* I knew that I had to make a move.

It's a move I've been expecting for some time.

*In truth, I probably got three more years out of the computer than I should have. There was a spill in 2018 and the machine was not only sticky but initially died, rebooted, and was slow as could be. Then I added memory and a new hard drive. That gave it extra life.

On certain muggy days, there was still a sense of stickiness in the keyboard. Yet it produced myriad broadcasts, documents, spreadsheets, research, music...and blog posts.

It will still be useful and a perfectly fine backup machine but it was used when I got it and the time had come.

It was the machine that produced 61 Hudson Valley Renegades games. 

Once I finished the testing process, this new machine will produce the next year(s) or Gades games and more. But I literally only started using it today, unwrapping it around 2:00 this afternoon after I greeted the UPS guy in the driveway.

I've been trying to convince myself that I have to invest. I have this very small but unofficially business called Robcasating and this official life called me.

So a computer was a necessary investment. There are other ideas I have, including upping my podcasting game given the amount of work that comes from my home studio. Professionally, I have done many Hunt Scanlon podcasts and part of my success is that each show sounds like it was produced in a big studio. That matters to me.

So, again, it's an investment.

It's also me making sure to remember that life is short. We've hit the month in which there will be another candle on the (invisible) birthday cake. I want to live life. 

I want to enjoy this new computer.

So, hopefully, by next weekend, I'll be officially broadcasting on this (if not sooner). Nothing is ever easy but one should get the adaptors and various accouterments that will make things work better.

It's an investment.

An investment in me and my future.

I'm taking care of myself. 

A little bit.

It's a start.


No comments: