Sunday, November 07, 2021

Hello, Darkness

 

Season Affective Disorder (SAD) is real

It's the most depressing time of the year...

OK, not as catchy as the snappy little holiday tune but, for some, it's a true statement.

We turned the clocks back last night and I personally don't like it.

In fact, I don't know many who do like it.

I dread it, to be honest. It's such a change to the soul. Just thinking about mowing the lawn, I had to remind myself that I needed to be done, essentially, by 4 or maybe 4:30.

I was finished by 1:00.

But we're now into that time of year for many where they literally see no daylight. They go into work in darkness and leave when it's dark.

I mean, who likes this?

I pondered the darkness as I stood at Avon Old Farms last night, realizing that things would change the following day.

To that end, I did a very "Rob" thing as I left. I followed the route of US 202 -- literally every turn -- from Avon back to Croton Falls before I turned and went to Mahopac. 

I did it as a treat. The most direct way -- mostly on Interstate 84 -- gets boring fast and I have a history of not using the same route twice. That and I've been on 84 a little too much in the last month. So I elected to take a route that would add upwards of a half-hour to my ride. 

I loved it.

Keeping it within the topic of darkness, what was supposed to be a scenic route wasn't very scenic because there was nothing to see.

Still, it took me through places that I have never been or haven't been in some time.

It was a change of pace and gave me time to ponder 1,500 games and a whole lot of other things.

In fact, I never even turned the radio on. I just didn't feel like flipping around. I just took my time and was safe.

Incidentally, Connecticut, you stink at road signs. I missed a turn as I followed US 202 in Torrington and the route disappears in parts around Danbury but, of course, I know where I'm going. Not all drivers do.

I always said I wanted to be in charge of road signs for a region, assuming I have the budget. It's a dumb dream, of course.

But I've sort of gotten away from the topic at hand here and that's the early darkness.

Seasonal depression -- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) -- really is a thing, friends. There are people tonight who feel like it will never be light again or they simply can't deal with the darkness. It produces depression and even worse darkness.

Let's face it, the darkness can be a villain. Staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night is no fun. It's less fun at 4:30 in the "afternoon."

I'm not smart enough to advocate for year-round daylight savings time so I will leave that to people smarter than I am.

I stood and looked out the window as the darkness descended, admiring the lawn and the leaves that had been scattered by the mower.

There certainly wasn't time or energy to use the blower and clean them out.

I had to settle for the pride in having mowed the entire lawn and leave it at that. So much to do otherwise.

But, still, the sun waved goodbye.

Some internet knucklehead will announce that we won't see the sun past 5:00 until March or something like that.

Remember those who really do struggle with this time of year.

Hello, darkness.

My old friend.

No comments: