Thursday, November 18, 2021

Red-Faced Raiders

 

Photo: John E. Moore III/Getty Images

The last thing a broadcaster should ever want to be is part of the story. Yet I know there's a really ugly underbelly of narcissism that has worked its way into the play-by-play ecosystem.

Some desperately want to be known for their howling or their prepared witty one-liners. Some exaggerate to make them -- and the game -- bigger they are.

Some stepped too far out of their lane.

Texas Tech football broadcasters Brian Jensen and John Harris have been removed from the booth for this week's game against Oklahoma State due to comments made about officiating.

Those comments -- made during the Red Raiders' 41-38 win over Iowa State -- brought ire from Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. 

"I understand the roles of the play-by-play and color analyst," Bowlsby said. "However as University representatives they also have an obligation to adhere to Conference policy regarding comments about game officials. The comments by the Red Raider Radio Network booth announcers were contrary to expected levels of respect and professionalism. Questioning the integrity of Conference officials and specifically calling out members of the officiating crew is well beyond appropriate and permissible behavior."

The way I see it, Jensen and Harris would have been fine if they had stuck to simply questioning the officiating as they observed it. There -- as with everything -- is a line. I've been known to say, "Wow. I don't know about that call but the officials have a better view than I do."

Admittedly that diplomacy has come over time but I believe in it. I've chatted with many respected officials. They know what's going on. My job is to report what I'm witnessing and limit opinions on such things.

Jensen and Harris went too far, including calling out Bowlsby. 

Harris: "I'll say it right now, the Big 12 does not want Iowa State to lose this game."

Jensen: "Bob Bowlsby, you need to answer to this. This is ridiculous. The inconsistency of this referee crew in favor of Iowa State. Unbelievable."

You're now dealing with credibility. Bad move.

Somewhere along the line, we decided it was OK for a collection of broadcasters to simply be fans and not reporters. Thus I bristle because I believe my job is that of a journalist and not to wave pom-poms. It's especially why I become irate when I ever hear "homer" in regard to my own work.

The debate is raging in corners of the play-by-play world. Did the Big 12 have the right to do this? Did the Tech announcers go too far?

Yes and Yes. The Big 12 have the authority and they, essentially, suspended them, no matter how unusual it is. The conference gets a say. 

The problem was that Jensen made it personal by calling out Bowlsby by name. He also read each name of the officiating crew as a point of emphasis.

Now, the difference is that we often read the official's names at the beginning of a broadcast but in this case, it felt over the top.

I believe my role was the voice of reason. I am the glue/point guard/whatever metaphor. I try to stay grounded and let the analyst have the latitude that I can reel back in. Still, there's a line in all of this. For my money, Jenssen shot way over it as the play-by-play announcer.

Keep in mind, I say all of this as an observer and I'm probably being too judgemental in that statement.

The lead play-by-play announcer is the leader of the broadcast and I've come to understand it's a unique skill set. Not every PBPer is a lead announcer. There's a difference.

Do I think the conference could have -- and even should have -- rabbit ears and let it go because it did get personal? To a point, yes, but when you're whipping up conspiracy theories about "the Big 12 not wanting Iowa State to lose this game" then you've gone way too far, in my opinion.

I wouldn't let Chris Erway say that about the FCIAC or CIAC. Then again, Chris Erway wouldn't say that.

Criticism is a very dangerous weapon and it must be used carefully in a broadcasters toolbox.

Diplomacy would have been better served.

Instead, the Texas Tech radio "voices" get a week off.

Sound like it might have been deserved.

And they become part of the story. In fact, they are now the story.

That should never happen.

No comments: