Saturday, November 13, 2021

Saturday at the Stadium

 


This football season is flying by.

Greenwich beat Stamford today on their combined senior day/homecoming and the score was very much what I feared.

With no disrespect intended to the Black Knights they were simply outmanned by Greenwich, 64-12.

The game started under comfortable conditions with the temperature in the upper 50s. Some wore shorts and I had to admit that I might have liked that also. To that end, I left my coat in the car.

Still, as the first half was being played, I kept noting how darkness was sweeping across Cardinal Stadium. "Foreboding" was the word I used, longing for a horror writer to pick that up and run with it.

As halftime rolled on, so did the clouds. A light rain started to fall, bringing our videographer, Dave, down from the roof to go into a booth to keep the equipment dry.

I ran cables to him in his room when the topic of lightning came up.

That would bring an instant delay.

And a few minutes later, the first flash hit.

The clock began running. The game could not resume until 30 minutes after the last sign of lightning.

In the Local Live world, there are (generally) no ads or promo breaks. When the game stops, there is just natural sound.  

So, in this case, we went to basically dead air, even on the audio side.

The storm -- which spawned a tornado on Long Island (Hi, Mick!) -- passed and the game resumed after a 40-minute delay.

Shawn Sailer (admirably filling in on color today) kept me company as we sat in the comfy confines of the Cardinal Stadium booth number 204.

Incidentally, the storm also brought the temperature down. Thus I was glad to get my coat as things dropped through the 40s.

With the win, this weird season turns towards Thanksgiving, which is when I'll next see the Cardinals. As for Brunswick, I'm hoping to hear about a bowl game broadcast next weekend.

No comments: