Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Thankful for Freedom

 


It's Election Day.

I voted. I hope you do also.

But I hope you do so with your brain and not because of some need to vote for one "row."

Party lines are irresponsible. Vote for what is best.

I did so today. I hit some of the GOP and some Dems and I felt good about it.

Just as I did last year when, in the most difficult election of my lifetime in my opinion, I made a choice that I have not regretted once.

I chose none of the above.

Being phony or just following along is something I can't sleep with.

In this month of being thankful, I'm thankful for the freedom to be real. Sure, I play "the game" where I have to but I've also seen what doing things for what seems like one noble reason or another has caused more harm than good. 

Pressuring me or guilting me into something won't fly.

No. I march to my beat.

That doesn't mean I can't be influenced but it means I'll make my own decisions.

I'm trying to avoid climbing on some kind of jingoistic wagon but, sure, I'm proud of this country and the freedoms we have, including the democratic right to vote as we see fit. 

I've also seen some stuff that I wasn't proud of (January 6, anyone?)

Later on, as I've done for probably 15 or 16 of the last 21 elections, I'll be a part of WGCH's election night coverage. I will make exactly two slices of pizza and not a dime otherwise but I'm content to do so.

That's also a part of the freedom that we have. I can make my own choice.

Today, I voted for what I felt was right.

I hope you do the same.

No comments: