Saturday, November 27, 2021

And They Went "We" "We" We" All The Way Home

 


I saw where Kate Feldman, a reporter for the New York Daily News, tweeted the following:

"I try so hard not to judge but it's always very telling when fans refer to teams as 'we.'"

I agree.

We've dealt with that word before.

"We."

So several fans -- especially of the Mets, who believe the media hates them -- were outraged by Ms. Feldman's tweet.

The thing is, if anything, the media is amused. I'm amused by that subset (it's always the same people).

I understand there are some exceptions but, as a broadcaster, I feel the word "we" is a huge no-no in the booth. But "we go to Chicago," as uttered by Vin Scully in 1959 doesn't imply he plays for the team. It states -- plainly -- that, as the broadcaster, he is indeed joining the Dodgers in their World Series broadcast in the Second City.

However, using "we" as if you'rea part of the team just isn't something I believe in.

Say you opine on the interwebs that "If we don't land (insert player) it won't be for lack of trying." So, based on that, if "we" do land that player will you be signing his checks?

Now say if you're talking about a player leaving and it "broke our hearts," well now that's different because fans can indeed be sad.

For what it's worth, I never liked it when I heard Phil Rizzuto say "we." I didn't like it when any colleague of mine uttered it. Again, I got it, but that didn't mean I liked it. Both are allowed to be true.

Personally, I think it's insulting to the team. The players are "we." They play for the team. The front office and team broadcasters are "we" but in a different way. They don't play for the team and that's where I struggle with the term in the booth.

In the case of Greenwich or Brunswick or the Renegades, the "team name" is on the field. They're the players and coaches and staff. They do the workouts and practices. They're in the locker room and the trenches. They're the brotherhood/sisterhood.

I show up and talk, even when I'm invited to be a part of the extended family in one form or another.

"We" is used in how I will participate, overall as a broadcaster. "We'll be at Fairfield Prep Tuesdsay night for Greenwich/Prep" is an accurate statement if I'm going to be there.

So from the comfort of my living room or in the car or on Twitter, even as a fan, I simply don't believe in "we."

Again, there are exceptions.

But "we" can agree to disagree.

No comments: