Friday, November 01, 2019

Appreciation



So, by now you all know the big news.

While I'm looking forward to the Renegades, I'm also looking forward to the balance of the fall season (football, soccer, and maybe even water polo). Then hockey and basketball and wrestling follows before baseball and lacrosse.

That's the goal: stay busy.

But the thing is, while I can hope for all of it, it's fool's gold to assume it's going to happen.

Trust me, I've been burned by that before.

Some get things handed to them at an early age. Vin Scully was with the Dodgers at 22, for instance.

The toughest thing is to remain humble and focused while appreciating the opportunities that have presented themselves.

Scully was naturally humble, but he also had Red Barber on him as a tough mentor.

Others aren't as lucky.

In a long-winded way, I'm trying to say that's all part of why yesterday was so special. I appreciate what I've been given and I'm grateful to every person who has taken the time to reach out to me in some manner.

It also drives me to pay it forward.

The saying that all good things take time is largely true.

Reaching the Renegades took until this month for a reason. Fate or whatever.

But I appreciate the opportunity and I'm ready to make the most of it.

That's not to say waiting all these years was desirable or that there aren't younger people who aren't worthy.

But with time comes this wisdom.

I've got my chance and I appreciate it.

The journey has been worth it.


No comments: