Saturday, November 30, 2019

Hard Times


I tried to resolve the flat tire situation today.

In short, today wasn't the day, but it's OK. I went to BJ's and got a solid deal on four tires. It will be the first step of making me much safer on the road when it's resolved.

However, you can't just easily show up at BJ's and expect to get new tires.

"The last-minute types are the best," one of the salesmen said sarcastically.

When I apologized for being one of those types, he smiled.

"You have a flat! It's not like you planned it."

No, but I'm not used to making an appointment at a tire shop either.

So, as of now, I have a (very tentative) appointment for Monday at 9:30.

Please note we're expecting upwards of a foot of snow between now and late Monday night.

I'm hoping there's a window for me to get the tires done, given I have to be in Darien for the football playoff game on Tuesday night.

But all was not lost at BJ's. The guy who helped me said he'd switch my good tire on the passenger side rear (the one I had fixed in June) with the donut from Saturday night.

So, all in all, I drove home (it's maybe a 15-minute drive) feeling fair with the transaction.

As I waited for the tires to be switched, I stood near the area where the propane gas tanks get refilled.  An employee walked out and greeted me politely before I told him that I was waiting for my car.

Another customer walked over to get his tanks refilled. He was a generally happy soul, and quite chatty.

We passed the time by talking about the weather, which was both cold and beautiful, given the bright blue sky overhead. Somehow, the topic of working at BJ's came up. I think it had to do with the employee having to stand outside on this cold day and fill tanks for waiting customers.

Clearly, it doesn't sound like the greatest job in the world.

"It sucks," he said. "The managers are s***."

I can't imagine he'll be working there much longer, but his comment certainly gave us a good laugh.

No comments: