Friday, November 22, 2019

The 51st Candle

Bern, baby, Bern!

I don't deserve the kindness that I received today.

I'm blessed to have so many people reach out to me.

There have been texts, phone calls, Facebook messages, tweets, and the kindness of people face-to-face -- strangers and friends.

I had two little ones reach me on Face Time and sing to me.

I had my entire North Carolina family send me their love also via Face Time.

Simply the best person made sure I smiled, laughed, and tried to wow me with surprises. Sadly, nobody could make it to the get-together.

Still, no regrets. No sadness.

Just gratitude.

I try to wish everyone a happy birthday on their Facebook page throughout the year, but often fail. Please know I think of you, and the fact that you would take the time to wish me well (or even think of me) is more than I can ask for.

There's no keeping score.

It's become a tradition to thank each of you personally, even if it's just a "thank you."

It's hardly enough. But I try.

I try never to set goals or get hung up on "resolutions." Still, I have dreams, and I have visions of what I'd like to see happen as I embark on my 52nd trip around the sun.

The Renegades position is one piece for sure. Personally and professionally, I want to see an improvement in my life but also be able to say that I'm being the best person I can be. I'm not sure I've succeeded at that one, but I'm always proud to say I don't consider myself too old to keep learning.

I'm afraid to get confident, so I will move cautiously. But it feels like things are going to happen.

I say this as I sit at home watching It's a Wonderful Life. The movie is a reminder that Jimmy Stewart is simply an American hero as much as he's a remarkable actor (seriously. See Vertigo and get back to me).

It's such a journey of highs, lows, frustration, triumph, tragedy and desperation.

Obviously, it's pure Frank Capra Americana, in that it's shamelessly idyllic.

I bring that up because I feel that way tonight. Most people have seen it, so I'm probably not giving away the ending, but perhaps you recall what Clarence the angel writes in the copy of Tom Sawyer he leaves for George Bailey.

"No man is a failure who has friends."

As I've aged, I've become much sappier and find myself telling friends and family that I love them.

No matter the struggles, it's nice to be reminded of the love I feel surrounded by.

Thank you. I love you all.

PS -- I was playing around with Snapchat filters this morning, and tried one that ages you -- younger and older. I saw the result of the older, and it astounded me.

That's me. But that's my father.

Freaky.

So begins year 52.

No comments: