Saturday, November 02, 2019

The Winter Schedules



Greenwich beat Trinity Catholic today in football.

But, as much as I want to focus on the now, I have to glance at the future.

So, what's next?

The winter schedules are out for most of the teams that I'm involved with. That means Greenwich, Brunswick, Mahopac, etc.

Carmel ice hockey would like me to be their PA announcer. Mahopac is interested in a few games also. Now, all things being equal, I prefer doing play-by-play but there is something to be said about watching the action, playing some music, and making announcements when necessary.

Greenwich basketball is interested in me broadcasting games.

Brunswick (via Local Live) seems to like having me on basketball and ice hockey.

Greenwich hockey...that's a tough one. I'd be thrilled to call more hockey. But, they haven't asked either.

If you didn't know, there was once a time when I called every Greenwich basketball and hockey game -- sometimes going from a basketball game to a hockey game on the same night.

And, I should add, I'd also be honored to call Greenwich girls basketball and hockey.

But, at this point, I have to be happy with whatever I'm able to cover.

I'd love to see Mahopac added to this as well. The thrill of going back into my old high school gym would be a blast.

So, this is the rush that occurs when the winter schedules come out. Look them all over. Plot them on a spreadsheet. Sort them. See what conflicts arise. Hope I get the opportunities.

Don't assume.

Be grateful for the games.

Appreciate it all.

Keep fingers crossed for good weather.

Feel the frustration of the conflicts and postponements.

And...go.

So much to think about. Cover the Fairfield Prep holiday tourney? Do the Greenwich Winter Classic again? Does anyone care? Am I just doing it for me?

Wouldn't it actually be wonderful to have a schedule set, as opposed to ad-hoc?

Nah.

Enjoy the adventure, right?

But, in the meantime, there are seven soccer games to call this week. Plus Greenwich at Fairfield Ludlowe football.

Onto the next stop.

No comments: