Friday, November 08, 2019

The A-Team

I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm on the call of Greenwich/Fairfield Warde tonight at 6:00 p.m.

The pregame show starts at 5:50.

Here's a nasty little secret about my pregame show: I do it to make sure everything works. Our style on WGCH (and even Robcasting) has been to do a 10-minute pregame show and get to the game. Longer pregame shows are fine (I'm actually not a big believer in them unless they're sponsored) but interviews can often be difficult to get, edit, and have ready to air.

So, we keep it simple. It's literally to make sure the equipment and connection work and set the scene.

As usual, Chris Erway will be with me for the call.

We're the A-Team.

But, how did that come to be?

It wasn't initially this obnoxious, bordering on arrogance thing it appears to be. It's just an old broadcasting term.

Every network or station has its top broadcasting duo. Around WGCH, I've been paired with great people who helped form our number one play-by-play team. John Spang, Sean Kilkelly, and Mark Rosen immediately spring to mind.

When I was at HAN, Paul Silverfarb was the first lead analyst. Eventually, Chris Erway joined me as the top duo.

The number one team.

The A-Team.

It was that simple. Yet, somehow, in some minds, it became this sanctimonious, entitled thing.

Except, it wasn't. But...when challenged, anybody will grab it and say, "OK."

That's exactly what Chris and I did. So it became our calling card.

It's funny how that happens.

Eventually, it came to represent the confidence we have in each other, and in our team. We trust that, with Sean in the studio, we have a solid broadcast. We get territorial, protecting the thing we've built, even when others try to tear us down.

I know if I need to be off-mic, Chris can dive in and handle the call.

We each know that if it's a close game in the fourth quarter, we'll call a game that relies on reporting, informing, educating, and entertaining. The entire mood of the booth changes. The entertainment factor will be less in a tight game.

In a blowout, we entertain more. That's where we're more likely to have fun while still focusing on the game.

I'm confident with every partner I go on the air with, but it's the chemistry of a friendship -- someone I've called so many games with -- that is so important.

I've had many partners thrown at me. I literally meet them for the first time in the booth on game day. For whatever reason, I can always make it work, but it's different.

With Chris, Chris Kaelin, Paul, Joe Early, and so many others, it's almost second nature. I don't think about it. The game becomes the game. I call the play. They break it down. We laugh a little. WE report a lot.

When it's tight, I get the right amount of goose pimples. I'm as excited as anyone.

It works with Chris.

The A-Team moniker wasn't supposed to be some silly badge asserting our greatness. We're actually fairly approachable and fun. We like to laugh. We love to call a game.

I'm confident you'll always enjoy your time with us.

We'll see you at 5:50 p.m. for Greenwich and Ludlowe.
In 2012, a crack broadcasting unit was sent to Greenwich to broadcast football. Today, they survive as broadcasters of fortune. If you have a game, and if you can find them...maybe you can hire...

Actually, we're not that hard to find.

No comments: