Tuesday, November 26, 2019

I Can't Wait

Kato, Where did you get a hand grenade?

I was going to tell the story of a near-battle between two media outlets ten years ago.

But, let's table that for a moment.

My mom had lunch with my cousin Lorraine today, who gave her a gift for me.

There's something still so great about seeing something in a printed newspaper. So, to see a story about me in the Poughkeepsie Journal was pretty cool.

I can imagine by now that you're fairly sick of hearing about it, and I get that.

But, honestly, I can't wait.

I've heard the rumblings about Major League Baseball contracting 42 teams, and have followed all of the coverage. Many have asked me for my thoughts, which are: it's just the start of the process and the Renegades, as of now, aren't one of the teams being proposed to be cut.

Most importantly, they'll very much be active and on the field in 2020. That's what I'm focusing on.

I think about the broadcasts every day. I think about the schedule and if the game times have been released yet.

I think about which guest broadcasters will be joining me.

I think about exactly how I'm going to get to the first game, in Aberdeen, on June 18. I also think about how Jon From RVA is planning on hanging out with me there.

Then I think about getting him (and whoever joins him) a credential

Then I think about what I'll say when I finally go on the air, but I can't script it.

But I also think about media day at Dutchess Stadium and meeting the players and the coaching staff. Then I think about learning what the pitchers have in their arsenal.

And learning the other teams. Aberdeen first, followed by Staten Island.

And then I think about how important it is to me to do a game on Staten Island, for Susan and Lucy and Annabelle and Kathy and her son and for The Godfather and Mrs. Godfather and Coach D and, basically, the whole borough.

I think about setting the booth up at Dutchess Stadium. Not to be a jerk, but it's actually sort of almost MY BOOTH. I realize I'll share it with a video cameraman and video production, but I have a level of ownership.

I think about theme music and breaks and if I want a legal ID, even though it's an internet-only broadcast.

I think about whether or not I'll fit in. I don't worry. I just think about it. But I want to know the whole organization. It's taken me far too long to get here and I want to hit the ground running.

I think about other ideas as well. Some have been tried but I'd like to take a stab.

I think about making Renegades broadcasts a thing. It's a great arm for the team and, essentially, is free advertising.

I think about representing the team. I'm a product of the Hudson Valley. I love this area. It's my home. I want to show it off and talk about it.

I think about that first pitch. That first hit. That first inning. That first game.

I think about how to handle rain delays and will I just go into talk show mode, and if we can do Doubleheader (and The Clubhouse) from the stadium and if other teams that play their games at Dutchess Stadium would like whatever talent I can offer them.

I think about it. All of it. And much more.

I really thought I'd settle into a rhythm of not giving it much thought.

My goal isn't to make you sick of the team or sick of hearing about this.

My goal is to excite you for this journey and to take you along for the ride.

*****
As for the Anchorman-style brawl that almost happened?

Greenwich lost to Staples by two 10 years ago. Chris Kaelin was already on the field to get a postgame interview and grabbed Staples coach Marce Petroccio, who's also a friend.

TV wasn't happy with that development. They wanted Marce with them for their turkey carving or whatever made-for-TV thing they were doing.

A producer walked into our interview and took Marce away. I can still hear the producer saying "live TV" as they left, indicating our little ol' radio station was inferior.

I can still see (and hear) the "talent" from the other outlet trying to lecture Kato about "knowing his place." That makes my blood boil.

It was no secret I was furious. I screamed into their booth (we were stuck outside...naturally).

In truth, I liked some of the people on that TV crew. But there were a few people who had a tendency to throw their junk around.

Like the night at Trumbull, when they yelled at me (!) to turn the in-house music down.

"Whoa," I bellowed. "Two things: One -- I'm not the audio guy. Two -- don't talk to me like that."

When HAN started a few years later, I told each person on our crew to never -- literally, ever -- act like them.

Taking away a positive from the experience, I'll always be grateful for learning how I never wanted to behave.

Anyway, the first pitch of the 2020 Renegades season is in 204 days.

No comments: