Thursday, November 21, 2019

Finally Found a Home


I'm heading to the Greenwich Old Timer's Athletic Association banquet, where I'm scheduled to sit on the dais.

It's a huge honor, and one that I don't take lightly. It's a very cool thing.

While I was getting ready, I decided to take a spin an album I've listened to a few time, called Sports by Huey Lewis and the News.

If you listened to the record of cassette, side two track two featured a song called "Finally Found a Home." It's track six on the CD (or if you stream an album, and now I'm just taking too much time explaining this).

It used to make me so fed up
People always asking me
What will you be when you grow up
You're gonna need security...

Written by Bob Brown, Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis, and Mario Cipollina, it's the story of a person who has what they want, despite the societal "norms" of what they should do.

I think there are a lot of us who can appreciate that.

Spent a little time in school
Wishing I was somewhere else
Having fun and acting cool
I just want to be myself

I've worked in finance. Marketing. The "red bullseye." Marketing and got pressured to try sales.

And I know plenty of people who have done similar things before finding their true calling.

Look, I like marketing actually, and really appreciated finance and every other position. I can excel in those and even integrate a lot of that into other things, but it's broadcasting that I work in.

Sports. Broadcasting.

So, when I'm sitting on the dais at the Hyatt Regency in Old Greenwich tonight at the annual Greenwich Old Timer's Athletic Association banquet, in a room that I still don't think I belong in, I can always remind myself that I've finally found a home.

It used to make me so fed up
People always asking me
What are you now that you've grown up
Exactly what I want to be

I belong talking about this. Even writing about this. I'm capable of doing a ton of things, and do them decently (at least, I hope so).

I've finally found a home.

On the air.


No comments: