Thursday, October 31, 2019

The New Hudson Valley Renegades Broadcaster

This will be my view in the summer of 2020.
The journey began in 2001, but it's something that I've wanted since 1994.

That's when the Hudson Valley Renegades first appeared on the scene.

I wanted to be their broadcaster but had no idea how to achieve that and, to be honest, I wasn't ready. I had never called a game professionally.

But, beginning in 2020, I'll call a whole lot of games for the Gades. I'm the new play-by-play announcer for the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Class A Short-season affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays. The Gades play their games at Dutchess Stadium in Wappingers Falls. The season runs from June to September.

So, let me quickly clarify. This isn't a full-time job. This isn't some magic panacea. While I'm at it, I'll still be around high school and college sports as needed. Local Live, WGCH, and Robcasting are still very much part of my plans. I'd love to do more Yale and St. John's and Marist (hint) and other college sports (hello? Fairfield U?).

But back to 1994. They went with a fine broadcaster named Bill Rogan. I eventually attended a couple of games as a fan.

By 1999, Bill had been replaced by Rick Schultz and, eventually Sean Ford. The Gades won the New York-Penn League title in '99.

In 2001, I was looking through the Baseball America Directory and saw that Sean was working alone. That's when it hit me: I wonder if they'd like some free help.

It was gutsy of me, but I sent their radio station (then: WBNR/WLNA) a letter. I stressed I'd do it for free and that I didn't want to impact anyone. I didn't want Sean's job.

After a little back and forth, it was decided that I would board-op some games in the studio and I could go to the ballpark when I wasn't.

I met Jay Verzi, who became an immediate friend at WBNR/WLNA. I pestered him, and I soon had a credential to go to Dutchess Stadium. That's where I met Sean for the first time.

It was July 12, 2001. The Renegades were hosting the Batavia Muckdogs.

I figured I'd just watch. Learn. Meet and get to know him.

The theme music swelled.

"If you're going to be on the air, you better put those on," he said, gesturing to the headset on the stool in front of me.

He threw me on the air during the opening. I did some color. We reached the end of the third inning.

"You're doing the middle three," he said.

It was official. I was a minor league play-by-play announcer.

We also became good friends, and I talked with him yesterday from his home in North Dakota.

And so it went. I did a bunch of games in 2001, some in 2002, and a few in 2003. Would I go back in 2004?

Nope. The next four seasons went by without a game. Suddenly, I was asked to rejoin in 2008 and there are plenty of stories on the blog about those days, when I did color from the studio (!), hosted a talk show and did lots of play-by-play.

But Sean was out after '08 and I was devastated for him.

Was it my time? No.

Geoff Brault did a nice job in '09. But that was it for him.

So me in 2010, right?

Negative. Nick Gagalis and Gary Ayd were on. Also good broadcasters.

As 2011 got started, there was talk that I'd again jump on, but it soon felt like I was more of a nuisance than anything.

More than anything, I felt like it was a younger persons' game. I felt old.

I thought it was over. I'd pass the view of the stadium on Interstate 84 and sigh.

Let me stop here and say that I tried my best to remember every Gades broadcaster and I think I'm a couple short in the mid-2010s. I'd love any help with that.

Later in the decade, I saw that Josh Caray -- yes, of the Caray broadcasting family (son of Skip) -- was now the Renegades broadcaster. Josh also worked for Stony Brook out on Long Island and needed a fill-in for two games in 2017.

I got the call and it felt like I'd gone home. More than anything, for two nights it was "my" booth. As a broadcaster, that is crucial. No matter what, it was Sean's booth. Or Geoff's. Or Nick's. Or Josh's.

I came back in 2018 for one game. It just didn't click as much as I'd hope. Again, I wondered if maybe my time was up.

As 2019 began, I saw that Josh was moving on to Rocket City Trash Pandas of Class AA ball. I texted him to wish him well and asked if he'd be around for the '19 season. He said he would.

Once again, it was 1994. I wasn't entirely sure how to proceed, except that it was 25 years later and I was a little smarter.

Fate intervened.

Kristen Huss -- Vice President of Community Partnerships for the team -- was a guest on The Clubhouse. I asked her about it.

"You'd be perfect," she said, her eyes growing wide. "Get your stuff to (team President/GM) Steve Gliner ASAP!"

She texted him. I emailed him immediately.

Steve and I -- he was with the team when I joined in 2001 -- met in early August. Our children attended the same high school. The meeting was easy. He wanted me to come back and sit in for two broadcasts.

Nervously, I auditioned in late August.

Director of Baseball Operations (and manager of the broadcaster) Joe Ausanio patted me on the back on the second night.

"Welcome back," he said.

Could it be -- could it actually be -- that I was going to get this?

Well, you know how it all played out. We met two weeks ago today and finalized everything.

I'll do all of the home games. I can do road games if we can work out the arrangements. I'll also write game stories for the website. My intention is to be at opening night in Aberdeen, Maryland on June 18. I'd like to do some games in Staten Island (that's important for my SI friends), Brooklyn, Connecticut (Norwich), and Tri-City (Troy, NY). There are other games, and if anyone wants to do a road trip, let me know.

To that end, Steve and Joe -- who have been amazingly supportive of my hiring -- have told me the broadcasts are an "open slate." I'd like to add theme music to the broadcasts and other in-game elements.

I've been told I can welcome friends into the booth to join me, and I've already got a list in mind. The team trusts me, and that means everything. Chris Erway, Chris Kaelin, AJ Szymanowski, and a lot of others will lead the parade to join me on the air. I'm planning on a "Clubhouse Takeover Night" where Dave Torromeo and Mark Jeffers join me.

Lots of ideas. Lots of work ahead.

Posts for other nights.

The news first hit (and thanks to Phil Giubileo for posting) on Ballpark Digest. Then, out of nowhere, my high school friend Corinne posted a link to a Poughkeepsie Journal article.

I'm simply overwhelmed with the love that this news was given. I have too many people to thank for supporting me -- with my son (who might work with me at the ballpark) and Susan leading the way. I have no words other than "thanks."

But it's Mick and Paul and Chris Erway and Kato and Ryan DeMaria and Hector and Kristy and Jon and Laura and Kelly and my sister Laura and my brother and Eric Scholl and AJ and Shawn Sailer and Tim and Kris and Jake Zimmer and Dan Gardella and (fellow #Project365er) John Nash and my Hunt Scanlon friends and Mike Hirn and Nate Stidham... and wow, so many people.

It's also Steve and Joe and Kristen and team Vice President Rick Zolzer -- The Zolz -- who also gave his thumbs up. Zolz is the true "Voice of the Renegades" to be certain.

It's every team and every outlet, from the Gades themselves to Mount Saint Mary College to the Bridgeport Bluefish to Fairfield Prep to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Darien and the FCIAC and Local Live and HAN and Majic 105 and the Bridgeport Bluefish and Little League Baseball and Trumbull baseball (and those great Babe Ruth tournaments) and Norwalk baseball and Mahopac baseball and hockey.

And, of course, Brunswick and Greenwich everything.

And WGCH.

(I know I'm missing some -- and no slight intended)

And Mom, who has enthusiastically supported this whole thing.

And Dad, whose memory and (I hope) pride had me fighting to keep it together as I walked out of the team offices on Oct 17.

I'd like to think he's now a Gades fan.

I hope you all will be also.

Thank you to everyone for believing in me.

My message tonight is "never give up." I'll be 51 by first pitch next year. My path is my own story. My time is now.

The games will air via the team website -- hvrenegades.com (or go directly to TuneIn Radio).

Prospective broadcasters, you can stop calling the team. The job is filled.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm the new Hudson Valley Renegades broadcaster.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

Congratulations man! Hard work and perseverance pay off! Now I have to come to some games!