Wednesday, November 20, 2019

It's the Little Things

Cindy Morgan as Lacey Underall in Caddyshack

While I'm hardly father of the year material, I've always tried to do what I can for my son.

Of course, he's 17 now, but that doesn't stop me from trying to give him unique experiences.

Last Christmas Eve, Sean and I created a new tradition in which we would have the other watch a movie we've never seen. I got to see Avengers: Infinity War, sitting through nearly 2.5 hours of action and adventure.

He got to see Caddyshack and we laughed like crazy for 98 glorious minutes.

At the time, I posted on social media what we were doing and tagged Cindy Morgan, who played Lacey Underall in Caddyshack.

"I'm going to post that we're doing this on social media," I told Sean. "I'm Facebook friends with someone in this movie. I guarantee she'll acknowledge it."

"You are," he asked? "Who?"

"Trust me. It won't be hard to figure out."

Sure enough, Cindy liked the post and Sean got a kick out of it.

Cindy Morgan has been on The Clubhouse several times over the years, and she returned to the show tonight, where I finally had the chance to tell her in person about it.

As always, she was gracious and charming and sent a hello to Sean personally. I texted Sean, who isn't known for being effusive.

"That's actually pretty cool," he texted back. Trust me, that's the equivalent of numerous exclamation points from my son.

Add this to the list of introducing him to Mariano Rivera and taking him behind the scenes at a lot of events over the years. The radio/broadcasting gig has been nice for him like that.

They're just nice things I can give to my son that makes him happy. Makes him feel  -- almost -- cool. It also makes me just a little bit OK, I guess.

Mark Jeffers, even my trusty co-host and the true brains behind The Clubhouse, patted me on the back as I was talking to Cindy. He knew that I found a unique way to connect to the interview.

It was meaningful, and a great reminder that there are people like Cindy Morgan who remain grounded and kind and down to Earth. She has, without fail, always been kind to our show, even when we have technical problems that embarrass me.

I'll always be grateful.

Now I have to come up for a movie for Christmas Eve 2019.

Here's the interview, as recorded from the site at Grand Prix NY in Mount Kisco.

No comments: