Saturday, November 09, 2019

Eight Crazy Days



I said I needed more work.

I said I wanted more work.

I got more work this week.

It started last Saturday with Greenwich/Trinity football. Then I did the four Section 1 girls soccer championships on Sunday. Monday featured the FCIAC girls soccer semifinals. Tuesday had the FCIAC boys soccer semis. Wednesday took me to New York City for the Hunt Scanlon conference then back to Mount Kisco for The Clubhouse. Thursday saw me call another FCIAC championship, as Trumbull topped Fairfield Warde. On Friday I jumped back to Greenwich football, as the Cardinals played Fairfield Ludlowe. I finished the madness with today's three NEPSAC water polo contests.

Did I love every minute of it? No, I wouldn't say that, but I'm smart enough to recognize how blessed I was to cover every minute of those games. I scratched, clawed, and worked my tail off.

I know that I'm lucky to do what I get to do, and I also hope I've earned that right.

I witnessed some behavior this week that had me literally biting my tongue. It's an indication that not everyone understands the opportunities they've been afforded while developing grace in certain circumstances.

Being a diva simply doesn't make you friends.

Look, we all have moments that are less than graceful. I flip out (obviously) but also try to retain the basics of how I was raised.

If I ever spoke to my father in a disrespectful tone I'd be a dead man.

It's never a good thing when you become a topic of conversation. I've feared that I've had those moments and I'm never happy about it.

Look, nobody says that we have to play "the game" necessarily and, trust me, I don't. But there is a certain way that things work.

Don't be described as a "disease."

While I'm at it, I have to say something.

Just get it right out there.

When someone has a headset on, they're likely on the air.

So, my advice would be to not talk to them.

Also, don't crowd them or have lengthy conversations near them.

Or curse.

Chances are, there's a crowd microphone nearby.

Just don't be like that.

I'm only here to help.

No comments: