Friday, May 03, 2019

World Selects Championship


I'm pleased to announce (and I hinted at it earlier in the week) that I've been asked to call the 2019 World Selects Invitational hockey tournament outside of Philadelphia next week.

It's the second year in a row that I'll be on the call of the championship, but my role has increased for this year.

Last year, I called a semifinal game and the championship from the Local Live studio in Stamford.

There were certainly advantages to doing so, including the comfort of a quiet studio and staying home. However the feel of being there is gone, and it was tough to get a feel for the crowd and other nuances.

I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone, I always prefer to be on-site.

Trust me, I'm grateful for any call. But being there is a whole different world. I wouldn't have complained either way, as it's an honor to be asked back, but I'm happy for the chance to head to Voorhees, New Jersey.

Oh, there are certainly things to consider, like where the "booth" will be and so on, but we'll cross that as we get closer.

Local Live has offered to let me stay down there, so I'll leave following my call of Poly Prep/Brunswick on Monday and drive down to the hotel to settle in for the night before a day full of games on Tuesday. The tournament actually begins tomorrow, but I'll be there for some of the quarters, as well as a semifinal game and the championship.

I'll provide more details, including where to watch/listen, as things get closer.

I hope you'll follow along for this world championship.

No comments: