Tuesday, May 14, 2019

This is May?

I'm still dry at that point (Photo courtesy Joe Early)
It's May 14, and it's 47 degrees.

We've just finished our third straight day of heavy rain showers.

Did I mention it's May and it's 47 degrees?

It messes with the baseball season, and the FAA quarterfinal game that I was supposed to call yesterday got moved to today. But we made it work for the matchup between Brunswick and St Luke's. Joe Early grabbed a Brunswick Cross Country tent that kept us pretty dry. The Bruins won 12-2.

I'll shift back to lacrosse tomorrow as the Bruins host Darien in a long-awaited matchup. I'm happy to say that my former HAN Network colleague Dan Arestia is joining me for the call and that I'll be a part of the Darien Athletic Foundation (as well as Local Live) tomorrow night.

Thursday brings me back to Mahopac for the (likely) final time for baseball this season, though I'd also love to see Mahopac softball. It's cool to say I was aware of their superstar pitcher Shannon Becker before she became all the rage last week. CBS News has more on Shannon and her "perfect perfect" game.

Friday will possibly take me back to Brunswick or Trumbull for baseball.

There might be something on Saturday, and then?

Well, I hope the FCIACs with Local Live. After that, it's hard to say, though I'm kicking a few tires to see what else.

There's plenty of baseball if people are interested.

June, July, and August (especially August) can be dicey.

And, believe it or not, I'm already chomping at the bit for football schedules.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Back here at the nerve center of Exit 55 mayhem, I found myself taking a really active interest in this basketball team called the Knicks. Truth be told, I've been a Knicks fan for roughly 40 years, though it's not the Yankees-level fandom.

They've so ripped my soul that I try to not get too invested in them.

I watched with hope that they'd get the number one pick in the draft lottery tonight.

They got the third pick.

There's still talent at the third pick, so I guess there's hope. New York hardly defines "long-suffering" though you might feel differently if you knew your history around these parts.

Jets: last title, 1969
Knicks: 1973
Nets: Er...they won an ABA title in 1976
Islanders: 1983
Mets: 1986
Rangers: 1994

If you wish to expand further, there are the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills to include.

The Devils, Giants and the ... ahem ... Yankees have seen a little more recent success, though ten years since the Bombers' last title feels like an eternity.

Anyway, this is sort of a babbling-type of a post. Sorry for that.

The NBA playoffs are on.

The Yankees (who have done a terrible job with weather-related changes) are not.

But the NHL playoffs are on. The Bruins are playing the Hurricanes. Doc and Edzo are on the call.

I'm all set.

No comments: