Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Four. No, wait. Five!


My perch
I thought I was supposed to call four games today.

I even wrote that here a few nights ago.

I finessed my way through four games of hockey, and I don't go halfway on such things. They're called with full energy.

During the fourth game of the day, I said how it was "the last game of the day." Nobody texted me and said, "Er, dude. You know there's one more, right?"

But then, it's not on anyone else, but the guy inside the Phantoms Rink at the Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ*.

Neither Michael Myers or Jamie Lee Curtis were anywhere to be found.
*Did you know there's a Haddonfield, NJ? Did you know it's a beautiful town, and the Haddonfield in Halloween is based on Haddonfield, NJ? Nor did I  -- until today. Michael Myers for the win!

So I wrapped up the fourth game. My throat was not pleased with me. The honey lemon drops were needed.

Then two more teams hit the ice. I noticed Dan Long, calling games in the Flyers Rink, was still going.

Uh oh. Did I blow it?

I rifled off two quick texts: one to Daquan Cole at Local Live and one to LL colleague John Malone. Both great guys.

Overall, the answer was, "Yes, dummy. Get back on the air."

So I did, called the rest of the fifth game of the day, finished with an overtime winner, and took the headset off.

I literally grabbed the rosters from a pack, learned the teams on the fly, and proceeded with the call. That's what we do. That's why we don't script it. We're prepared to adjust.

I was mortified but had to get the job done.

"Are we done now," I asked Phil from Legacy Global Sports, which puts the tournament on.

"Yes. Did you eat? Go get some food!"

So I did. For what little it's worth, that fifth game was my 100th since the school broadcast year started on September 8 last year. I realize there are those who call more. I hope the quality of what I do -- along with the quantity -- all balances out.
The rink was dark. That's how early I was.
It was a full day, beginning with my arrival a little after 6:30 this morning. I found the rink facility was open and got to work setting up. The Legacy Global Sports crew wasn't there yet, and the rinks were dark!

Dan, I was told, was bringing a headset. That wouldn't do, so I grabbed a backup mixer (because, me) and set him up in the Flyers Rink. Daquan and I got to work just after 7 a.m. doing sound checks both in my rink and Dan's.

Soon all was good.

Then it was onto calling games. I actually got a (roughly) four-hour break and came back to the hotel, where I promptly collapsed for an hour.

I've since come back and edited each audio broadcast.

Game 7 of Blues/Stars is on as I type.

It's almost time for bed.

I was sorry to miss the Brunswick baseball game (and another one tomorrow), but this has been a great opportunity.

Instead of two games (one semi and one championship), I now have three games (one semi and two championships).

I'll crown the Under 15 and Under 16 titles tomorrow.

I don't take these honors lightly, so I'll talk to you then.

No comments: