Sunday, May 05, 2019

Ready For Whatever Happens

Well, I am going to Voorhees ... in New Jersey.
My trip to Voorhees, NJ* begins later tomorrow.

*The remarkable Susan (the horror expert) was only too happy to talk about Jason Voorhees of Friday the 13th fame when I told her about the trip to New Jersey. Plus given Camp Crystal Lake from the movie is in New Jersey, the above picture works perfectly fine. Further note: I wouldn't know much about this without knowing her.

So here's what I know about the trip:

I'm supposed to call games beginning at 8 a.m. Tuesday morning at Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone at Voorhees. Basically, I'll call any moment of action that occurs in that rink (known as "Flyers Side").

I'll also call one semifinal on Wednesday morning before handling the championship Wednesday at 2 p.m.

Basically, that's about it.

There are always unknown issues when heading to a facility that I've never worked in.

Where will I set up? Where's my nearest power outlet? How much extension cord do I need? Do I need to tape things down? Is there a table I can use? A chair? Is there a program? Will I need a credential? Will I get grief trying to get in and out of the arena?  Does the arena even know that I'll be there? Where am I supposed to plug in my audio controls to sync with the video?

Is there a PA announcer? Can I set up a wireless microphone near the PA or a speaker to hear their announcements? How will my view of the rink be? Will I have fans surrounding me?

Will food be available? Are there any media accommodations (food/drink/etc)? Where's the nearest restroom?

Will there be wifi or a hardline internet setup?

How early can I get in to set up? Is there any way for me to print things (either at the rink or at my hotel)? For that matter, what hotel am I heading to? What name is the reservation under? Should I bring a blanket and be ready to sleep in the car?

(I'm kidding about most of that paragraph)

In the play-by-play world, adapting to change and being ready for anything is crucial. This is especially true at levels below the pros Div I of college sports.

And sometimes there also.

The truth is, after all these years, I'm used to this. I expect the worst and hope for the best. I prepare as best as I can in terms of equipment, notes, pens, etc. But as you can see, a lot is out of my control.

So I hope to finish calling Poly Prep/Brunswick tomorrow and hit the road to the hotel, with hopefully a chance to look into the rink as well.

All of the answers will come together in due time. There's no need to panic yet, though I do need the answer to the most important question...

Where's the nearest Wawa?

Answer: there are three within 10 minutes of the rink.

The nearest Waffle House in 57 minutes away, in Maryland.

Use this link to purchase access to the broadcasts.

No comments: