Friday, May 10, 2019

The End of the Week

Salisbury/Brunswick lacrosse from Friday night
It's another one of those nights where there are things I want to write about, but know that I can't write about them.

So given it's after 11 p.m., and I only recently got home from a lacrosse game between two of the top 10 high school teams, basically, anywhere (and since I'm not feeling great), I'll keep things short tonight.

(Here's the call of Salisbury/Brunswick lacrosse)

There are topics. There are always topics. But let's do something different tonight.

I've written -- openly -- about some of my struggles. I've been fascinated by the response (and sometimes, the lack thereof). In the months since I've opened up, I can say that I'm surviving. I'm worried about the summer, but we'll deal with that topic at another time.

I bring up my struggles not to make this about me. As a journalist, we're taught to not make it about us. I brought it up to segue to a story that I'd like you to read.

I've mentioned Susan many times here. I'll likely mention her many times again. I'm talking about her because she stressed and finessed her way through the writing of a story of addiction for the Darien Times. The story had its beginnings last Christmas, and I could see the idea going through her brain. Her dedication to this story astounded me to watch.

It hit the internet today, and it's incredible.

But it's not about Susan, though I hope Darien appreciates what an amazing community journalist and editor they have in her.

No, this story is about William Jones. I didn't know William, though I know he went to Brunswick.

Addiction is a disease. William tried to beat it.

Susan honored him with a story that deserves to be read. Addiction can touch all of us somehow. The goal of this story is to save at least one person.

Please read it, and thank you.

No comments: