Thursday, May 16, 2019

Out With a Bang


The Big Bang Theory ended tonight.

There are things that are astounding as to why they are popular (various musicians, movies, and TV shows apply).

While TBBT is crazy popular, it's also crazy disliked.

I loved it, though it took reruns to get me onboard (which isn't uncommon for me).

TBBT was my comfort food. In the moments of loneliness, when sometimes all I could do was watch TV, I took solace in these characters as background noise.

Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Raj, and Howard (and later on Amy and Bernadette) gave me countless lines that cracked me up, and that I'd continue to laugh at in subsequent viewings.

Paul Silverfarb and I would text each other if a particular episode was on.

Sean and I would roar when one of us would like at the sky and say, "Stars are pretty, aren't they?"


If you didn't know The Big Bang Theory, it wouldn't make sense. To us, it did.

I don't kid myself that TBBT was Seinfeld or M*A*S*H or All in the Family. It wasn't The Soprano's.

It didn't need to be.

Was it time to end it? Yes, frankly, I think it was. The characters had gone far enough. They had changed, and not necessarily for the better. For instance, I found Bernadette tougher to like as she got meaner. Amy also stopped being as awkward and that took away some of her charm.

Goodbyes are still difficult.

But I still hate that damn theme song.

No bazinga there.

*****
While on the topic of goodbyes, it looks like I said two farewells this week for the season.

The Brunswick baseball team lost its FAA semifinal game yesterday to Hamden Hall, and Mahopac ended its regular baseball season today (I doubt I'll see them in the playoffs).

I don't have the eloquence to express exactly what these programs mean to me. It's a blast to cover them, and I hope I continue to build good things with each team.

I really like what has happened through Robcasting Radio beginning to work with Mahopac High School. Not only is it my hometown and my old high school, but it's a grassroots thing that has a little life to it. I have a feeling there's a future there, and I just hope I'm a big part of it.

I'm trusted with the words to describe Brunswick, Mahopac, Fairfield Prep, St. John's, Yale, the FCIAC, Section 1, and of course Greenwich High School. I'd certainly love to have the job of being the lead for any one of these places, but I'm grateful to all of them for having me around.

My original point was to acknowledge both Brunswick and Mahopac baseball. Thank you both.

No comments: