Saturday, May 04, 2019

A Couple of Sports Notes

Excitement at the Finish Line store in the Poughkeepsie Galleria at 8 a.m.
Just another crazy day.

The Marvelous Mr. Sean Adams opened the day by taking the SAT this morning in Wappingers Falls, NY. His father (me) was up early (there's a shock) to have him at RC Ketcham High School before 8 a.m.

However, I saw no point in going back to Mahopac, so I amused myself at Target...sitting in my car...walking around Dick's Sporting Goods...a few laps around the Poughkeepsie Galleria (including before the mall actually opened)...a trip to Goodwill (I got an electronic component switch for $3)...and back to Ketcham, where I napped in the parking lot.

But let's get to sports. We start with the Kentucky Derby.

No, really. What in the hell happened.

I had people all into it. After making picks on The Clubhouse on Wednesday, I had a son, mother, and niece into making predictions and watching the race.

We all at dinner in the living room to make sure we were near the TV.

Then Stephanie's (my niece) predicted horse won.

Then he didn't.

Just astounding. The more I read and understand, the more it seems like the right decision has been made. But, wow.

But I also want to talk about how stupid fans are.

I was watching the Yankees game today, and J.A. Happ didn't have his best stuff. He battled into the sixth and left trailing 4-0. I heard what sounded like boos on TV when Happ was pulled from the game.

I was angry (run down from frustrations with my tractor and getting the law mowed didn't help), so I tweeted this:
I figured I was ripe for grief. There was only one response.

Why yes, "Nik" (hope you're OK with that name) you're entitled to do a lot of things. You can wear a pinstripe jersey with a player name on the back in you want.

I didn't tell you otherwise. But...I have a right to say what I said.

That being said, you never explained, so why respond to me. Why -- if it's your team -- do you boo player?  Do you honestly think they're not doing their best on the field? Is it about a player's salary? Is there some other nonsensical reason?

I've never understood it. The player is on the team you root for!

So, again, I ask: Why?

Maybe this time you can explain it.

So you boo simply because you can? Brilliant! I never thought of that.

Then we wonder why the world hates us. (I mean, there's jealousy, but still)

Every fan base has idiots like this, who think that booing players is the answer.

I don't. To be crystal clear. Especially players who are obviously trying.

So I'm serious. Why do you boo players on your team?

No comments: