Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day

My parents on their engagement day, 1956.
Unless you're nowhere near Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, a TV, radio, smart device, Hallmark store, Wal Mart, Target, or literally anywhere in the United States...

Then you probably know it's Mother's Day.

I'm going out on a limb here.

So we here at the Exit 55 nerve center wish all of the moms a happy day. Mothers are in all styles, shall we say.

Yes, there are the biological moms, like mine, who has been stuck with me for over 50 years now and more often than not wants to choke the ever living life out of me but then who would she text while he was in the middle of a broadcast?

(For the sarcasm-impaired, please know that this is indeed sarcasm. For the record, I tried to say, "We'll talk about it later." Of course, I found a break between faceoffs to give her the answer she was looking for.)

The are stepmoms and mothers-in-law and pet moms and women who simply like to mother people even if they're not mothers. All deserve respect and acknowledgment today and every day.

My mom -- along with my dad -- are responsible for my holding doors and showing basic respect and standing for the National Anthem and working hard countless other things that somehow I have done correctly.

What my mom did absolutely not give me is my sense of direction. Honestly, she wouldn't know Cheshire, CT from a Cheshire cat. She'll just keep driving north, figuring she'll run into Interstate 84 eventually, never mind the sign that says "Canadian Border 1000 Feet."

"I knew I had been driving a long time," she'll say.

We love our parents regardless. More often than not, I think she deserves far better than she has gotten, but there's also therapy for that.

In all seriousness, Happy Mother's Day to the many wonderful women in our lives who have rounded us and supported us. We know we can't thank you enough. To those missed today, know that you're in our hearts.

I feel very fortunate to have my mom, sister, friends and other mothers in my life whom I admire.

And now, for a lesson in understanding mothers, we turn to Dame Emma Thompson and friends.

No comments: